Chapter 18: They Know

We left early in the morning, Ariadne finally fell asleep, so I didn't wake her to say goodbye, I ran my fingers through the blonde hair gently, smiling to myself, so happy that she was safe. I turned and saw Max and Phoenix, talking quietly, a small smile suddenly on Max's face before we made our way out to the rig.

We got in silently, Max on the wheel is time. I looked over at him, he looked more calm as he drove, well, as calm as Max could look.

"I've never seen you smile" I chuckled, smiling to myself wondering what had Max smiling. He said nothing, he turned over to look at me, his eyes questioning what I was getting at. "Is it the girl?" He stared at me more, but then turned to face the road, saying nothing. Either I was right or he was quiet because I said something stupid.

When we arrived I checked the citadel thoroughly, first to see if the fuckers stole anything from us. max was up in the girls room, checking to see if they might've found anything.
My imperators said everything went smoothly, they searched for a few hours, but came up empty handed and left no problem, but that didn't sound anything like Scrotus' war boys to me.

Nothing was missing, nothing at all, not even fuel. This seemed odd to me. Max approached me, a look on his face that I couldn't really decipher.

"Didn't Phoenix wear a bandana?"  He asked quietly, his eyes like fire, I nodded, turning to him and folding my arms across her chest. "I haven't seen it since the day she came here" my eyebrows furrowed in confusion, but soon realized what he was saying.

"Did... Did she leave it in the room somewhere?" I cursed to myself, Scrotus' war boys had probably already reached gas town and that was enough proof to ruin all my lies. "Max you need to head back and bring the girls back tomorrow, keep them safe until I can ready the citadel for war" Max nodded, and was off. I thought about Ariadne, she was getting sick, she couldn't survive by herself right now, her best chance was bringing her back here where I could look after her

I found my imperators first, looking gravely at each of them, I didn't think this would happen like this, and I didn't think it would happen this fast. "Ready your rigs and your men for war" I spoke, getting directly to the point. They looked around at each other confused.

"But the war boys left, we got away with it" A man spoke out.

I shook "that's exactly what they want us to think so when they attack it's too late, they found evidence I'm sure of it, get your men ready, put up the defences, they could attack at any moment" there was a look of shock on their face, but they wasted no time in obeying my orders.

God I hoped Ariadne would make it through tonight, Max knew how to handle them, and I knew Phoenix would take care of her. But I felt an obligation to protect her myself, I brought her out there, she was my responsibility. I would sleep better at night knowing that she was safe with me.