Chapter 53: Accepting Feelings

My eyes shot open, all I could see was white, just white, no grass no sand just blank white nothing. Was I dead or alive? I didn't know, was this just the subconscious of my mind?

I called out for Max, screaming as loud as I could, my voice echoing in the silence. Nothing. No one. I was alone. I walked I to the white nothing, hoping to maybe come across something.

I could hear voices now, and I began running, I couldn't hear what they were saying clearly, but followed them until they got louder and louder. But suddlenly they stopped I sat on the floor, hugging my knees, screaming, hoping someone could hear me.

"Phoenix" I heard, very quietly barely a whisper. "Please... Please wake up" it was a bit louder now. It was Max, but I couldn't see him anywhere. "Wake up.. Wake his voice was thick and desperate. I closed my eyes, feeling myself slip away slowly. "I NEED YOU" I heard loudly now. I thought of him, of Ariadne, they were what tied me to the mortal world.

I breathed in heavily, turning my head to the side. There was Max, gripping my hand tightly in both of his hands, holding it to his lips, his eyes widened in relief and he stared at me, speechless.

"Max...?" I mumbled, my voice low and raspy. I sat up, Max brought his hands to the side of my face. I noticed a tube coming from his neck, following it to my arm, he was giving me blood. He rested his forehead against mine, his eyes closed, he was shaking.

"I... I thought you weren't going to wake up..." He breathed, it was then I noticed how red his eyes were. He pulled me into his chest, holding me gently to him, burying his face in my hair.

"How... How long?"

"Two days, we were losing hope..."  I looked up, lookin I to his eyes, they were soft now, his eyes weren't swimming with thought like they usually were, his mind was at ease, just this once.

He ran his finger along the bruises of my face, pulling the stray strands of hair away and pushing him behind my ear. I brought my hand to his face, he closed his eyes feeling the warmth of my hand against his skin. Without thinking I brought my lips up and pressed them against his gently, his hand tangled into my hair, holding my face to his returning the kiss roughly, like if he let go I'd disappear again, his touch made me tremble, whimpering before he slowly pulled away.

His breathed out softly, looking down at my hands as he played with them.

"I couldn't protect you..." He mumbled but I shook my head.

"You giving me blood is why I'm alive right now" Max closed his eyes tight, twitching slightly "thank you Max..." He looked up at me, leaning in towards me again.

The door slammed open, Ariadne ran in, Furiosa right behind her. She hugged me so tightly, kissing my head repeatedly I could hear her sniffling, she must have been so worried, so upset.

"I'm so sorry, Ariadne"

"Shut up" she sobbed, holding me still. "Are you feeling ok?" I nodded slowly, lifting up my shirt and looking at my stitched up wound. I groaned, remembering the pain I felt when Scrotus' blade ripped through my skin. "Ah shit" I sighed, pulling myself up. Furiosa had a smile on her face, and a look of relief.

"I knew you would pull through" she grinned, handing me a cup of water that I drank from slowly. Max's eyes stayed on me the whole time, and I wondered what he was thinking.

"If you ever scare me like that again Phoenix, I'll kick your ass" Ariadne laughed, giving me a relieved, genuinely happy smiled. I smiled back, glad that I returned to them, and didn't get locked in the subconscious of my mind