Chapter 12: Leaving

Max stared out through his binoculars for a little while, he made a low grumbling noise as he pulled them away from his face. Furiosa just stared at him, a hint of anger on her face, like she knew what he was thinking.

"No, not now" she pleaded, walking a little closer to Max "we need you" Max looked at the three of us individually, examining us.

"I already told you". He spoke a little louder, his voice still rough. "Once I got the engine I'm out of there". Furiosa said nothing, and stared at the man shaking her head as she walked back to Ariadne.

"W-what?!" I sputtered angrily, catching his attention "what you just back out when you're needed most?!"  Max said nothing, his hard blue eyes stared into mine for a moment, and I wished I could just tell what he was thinking.

"You can come with me" he spoke, walking over to his car.

"What?!" Ariadne yelled from beside Furiosa, walking straight up to Max who looked like he already made up his mind. "Oh you're not taking her anywhere" Max let out a sigh, looking over at me again.

"That's her choice, not yours" he looked back at Ariadne who was furious, she looked over at me, opened her mouth to say something but shook her head and walked back to Furiosa.

"I'm not going anywhere, Max, I don't walk out on people who fucking need help" Max looked at me again, his eyes full of so many thoughts, memories, emotions, and he hid it so well that I couldn't even tell what he was going to say. Max did nothing but nod, got into his car and started the engine. "DON'T YOU FUCKING WALK OUT MAX!"  I screamed, running to the drivers seat window. "That's MY engine in your car, you wouldn't have it without me!"  Max stared at me blankly, but I could see he didn't really care.

"Phoenix" Furiosa called, "leave him, he's already made up his mind" her and Ariadne were walking towards the War Rig, maybe to set up camp, she had said it was best for us to stay away from the citadel for a while.

"When you're out there, on your plains of silence of wherever the fuck your going, just know that you could've saved us, but you chose not to". Max's eyes looked away from mine, and he gripped the wheel hard, like I'd angered him. Without another word Max was off into the wasteland.

I signed angrily, walking over to Ariadne and Furiosa. "I didn't think he was an asshole" Furiosa laughed, pulling out a hose and drinking from the fresh water before handing it to Ariadne.

"He did tell me he was leaving after he got the engine, I just thought he'd help us first," Ariadne passed me the hose, and I took generous gulps from it.

"We don't need him, we can make it on our own" Ariadne spoke "we need to worry about setting up camp right now, Max is out of the picture now but we need to keep moving"
I sighed, pulling my black hair up into a ponytail as I helped as much as I could. Furiosa let me do some work on the war rig as they set everything up, it was better for me anyway because I wasn't really good with anything else. Ariadne stared at the hot, beaming sun and put some cold water on her face.

"I just hope we get out of all this alive" Furiosa sighed, looking off into the deep canyon. I could feel myself going more insane by the second, by the heat of the sun, the wasteland changed everyone whether they liked it or not.

THIS OK?!