Chapter 50: Forgive Yourself

Me and Phoenix are attaching as many weapons and gear, to keep my car in tact as possible. Everytime I look at her beat up face I become angry. I'm gonna fucking kill him for this! The fact that I couldn't protect her infuriates me.

"I'm sorry I couldn't protect you" I say quietly, my voice low and gravely. She gives me a look. "Max, stop blaming yourself. You couldn't help it" She says softly. I could have done something more. I can't fret over this now. I have other things to worry about.

I will make sure she doesn't get hurt again. Not by him. Not by anyone. I stop working on the car and I sit down, taking a break. I can't stop thinking about all the people I couldn't protect. All the people that died on my watch. What if the same thing happens to Phoenix?I shake my head at the thought.

Phoenix walks over and sits next to me. "Max I'll be fine aright?" She says softly with a hint of pain in her voice. I knew she was hurting. The son of a bitch hit her hard. I clench my fists at the thought. "Doesn't mean I won't worry about you" I mumble to myself.

I feel her hand grab onto mine. I loved the way her hands felt with mine. I loved her grey eyes and long black hair. I loved her. I freaked myself out. I can't be falling in love again. I can't do that. I let go of her hand and I start working on the car again, getting lost in my thoughts.