Chapter 89: Major Confusion

I sat with Jeet as we ate. Max and Ariadne had a lot to talk about, we were all so confused. I didn't really touch my food, for some reason I wasn't hungry at all.

"Ay, what's up with you?" Jeet asked, rubbing his left temple slowly, his body was getting used to the morphine and wasn't working as good anymore.

"Jeet..." Started, not really knowing how to ask. "I mean, how do you know?..."

"Max and Ariadne?" He spoke quietly now. "Phoenix I think these headaches have something to do with my brain"

"Obviously..." I chuckled a little, but his face stayed serious.

"No, no I've been thinking..." He sighed, leaning in closer to me "I mean I think... Well you know how I... Like I can see things"

"Jeet you're scaring me..." I mumbled, not understanding what he was getting at.

"I mean I think I... Use more of my brain capacity than normal people... How else could I be seeing all this shit?"

I paused for a moment... It made so much sense.

"And... It would explain the headaches...." Jeet nodded, and began to eat again. I stared at the table deep in thought, could jeers gift give us an advantage within the wasteland?...

Furiosa joined us shortly after, asked us if we'd seen Ariadne. She looked relieved when I explained she was talking to Max.

"I thought she was going to leave again..." She rubbed her face. "It's good they're talking, but she seems so angry... It doesn't make any sense how they don't remember though"

"But does anything make sense anymore, Furiosa?" Jeet reasoned and we all sat in silence.

Ariadne and Max walked out together, but Max stormed off into his garage. Ariadne looked fine as she sat down next to Furiosa. I sighed, standing up and kissing Ariadne on the head. She gave me a half smile and I could see Jeet trying to make her laugh in hopes if making her feel better.

I walked down the corridor into the garage where Max just sat alone, he looked angry and sad and when I tried to speak to him he just... Stayed silent. I stood In front of him, his hard eyes softening when they me mine. I was caught by surprise when Max's hand snaked around my waist and pulled me into him, he buried his face into my shoulder. I ran my fingers through his hair as to try to comfort him, he just held me tighter.

"Max?... Max are you ok?"

He said nothing, and just remained holding me for what felt like forever.