Chapter 38: You Can't Go

"Fuck" I mutter to myself furiously, looking around for Phoenix and Ariadne. I get that she was angry but that was so unnecessary. I spot Phoenix and I run after her. "Hey um..listen, about last night-" She cut me off. "Look Max, you can't just let me in and then shut me out. That's not how things work. You can't do that to me!" She says raising her voice in anger. "I know..." I say quietly looking into her eyes.

"Please don't leave. I know you and Ariadne were planning on leaving. There's a war raging and comming this way. Both of you need to stay here." I say sternly trying to keep my cool. "Maybe you're right...maybe we need to stick together" She says more calmly then before.

"I know what I did. I did it because I was scared. Last time I let anyone close to me I lost my wife and son." I reveal, most definitely not wanting to talk about it. I know I shouldn't have done that to her but it's my first instinct. I shut everyone out. Furiosa barely knows anything about this.

"I'm sorry, Max. I know they were very important and ment alot to you." She says sympathetically. Without thinking I give her a quick hug. "I'm not letting you leave, okay?" I say sternly but with care. "If it's best we stay here then I'm not going anywhere" She states hugging back.

If this war is what I think it's gonna be like, we must prepare as soon as possible. Where's Furiosa? We have planning to do.