Chapter 8: V8

I sat down next to Max, who assumed that it was his turn to start working. I laughed a little bit.
"Sit down, we can tune her up nice once we get that V8 in there" Max stared at me blankly, and after hesitating for a bit he sat down. I grabbed my bag and gave him a mischievous smile, pulling out two old beer bottles that I had found a while ago. Max's eyebrows shot up as he grabbed for one.

"Where did this come from?"

"I don't know I just found 'em" I cracked it open and took a sip, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, who knows how old it was though. Reluctantly, Max did the same, his face scrunching together a little bit. "Didn't taste like I thought it would" I laughed, putting the drink down. I don't know if I saw him smile a little bit or if he just twitched, but I think I might've made him laugh.

He stood up, closing the hood of his beautiful car and looking over at me, saying absolutely nothing, I don't know if he expects me to read his mind, but I stood up as well.

"You driving?" My eyes widened, I didn't think he was going to let me drive HIS car. But his facial expression didn't change,

"Uh... Sure" we both got into his car and pulled out of the Citadel. A smile came to my face as the car hit the dirt road, I felt free again and sped down the dirt road. "I was supposed to go back for this engine when me and Ariadne escaped, but they took my car and scrapped it when we were caught, so I guess you can have it" I chuckled, but Max stared at the open road as we drove. Occasionally I could feel him peer over at me from the corner of his eye, probably making sure I didn't destroy his car.

I pulled up into a vast ocean of sand, nothing but a single truck, rusted with no wheels half buried in sand. Max looked all around, then at me, eyebrows furrowed in both anger and confusion.

"Where is it?" He demanded. His eyes hard as stone as they stared me down.

"Calm down" I rolled my eyes, getting out of the car and jogging over to the beat down truck, Max followed, his expression never changing. I held my hands out at the truck, giving max a flashy smile "TADA" I beamed, but Max wasn't amused, he just stared at me angrily. "Oh your so angry all the time" I groaned, lifting up the hood of the truck and revealing a beautiful 8 cylinder V engine, and the anger wiped off of Max's face almost instantly. "Stashed it here a while ago, planned to come back for it when Ariadne and I escaped, but they scrapped my car' so I guess you can have it"

Max didn't waste a second taking the engine out of the truck and as quick as he could, with my help, installing it into his car. Max worked quickly, his hands flying everywhere. When it was done he looked at me, stared at me for a moment then back at the engine, perfectly installed and ready to go.

"Thank you" he muttered, and I almost didn't hear him. I smiled, climbing into the passenger seat of his car.

"I'm assuming you're driving her home?"  I laughed, and Max slid into the drivers seat. The car was... I don't really know how to explain, it wasn't just a car it was an extension of Max himself, the way he drove was remarkable, and I thought I drove good, he slid through the wasteland with ease, and now he was equipped with a V8 engine. I pulled out one of my hand made cigarettes and pulled it between my lips, Max eyes met mine, his eyes alone enough to scare me.

"No" he said simply "not in the car" I stared at him stupidly for a minute.

"Max... I... The car has no fucking windows are you serious-" Max didn't say another word, he just stared at me until I put he cigarette away. "You're crazy" I laughed, resting my head into the seat. "Mad, Mad Max"