Chapter 99: It's Not Your Fault

"It's not your fault, darling" I spoke, running my fingers through her golden hair my failed attempt to comfort her, she didn't really say anything, she just kinda stayed silent and buried herself into me. I didn't say much anymore, I learned from experience that I should just let her calm down. "I'm gonna get you some food, hold on okay?" She nodded, I could tell she was hungry. I kissed her head and made my way out towards what we made the cafeteria.

I walked downstairs, getting some food for myself and sitting with Jeet and Phoenix for a bit, I knew Ariadne needed some time to cool off as well. Phoenix eyes were red and puffy, she was crying, I could hear her last night, Jeet had the same grave look on his face, I guess he could feel what she was feeling too. He wrapped his arm around her gently, rubbing it in attempt to comfort her, she stayed still, not finding comfort in anything anymore, considering Max was just as much her sanity as she was his.

"You should talk to him..." I mumbled, reaching over the table and grabbing her hand.

"I don't want to fucking talk to him" she spat, looking up at him as he made his way in from the garage "I fucking hate him" I could see her eyes fill with tears, but she kept her face straight. Max made eye contact with her, his eyes full of blue fire. I could see it in him, he wanted to run up to her and comfort her, but when he noticed Jeets arm around her, he stiffened, his jaw clenched. There was obviously nothing for him to worry about, but I guess he was so angry and confused and lost he just had no idea what to think. "You got a problem?!" Phoenix's voice rose as she stood up from the table, there was such hostility between them.

Max didn't say anything, but his eyes spoke for him. Phoenix stormed off probably somewhere outside and that's when I made my back upstairs with Ariadne's food. She was sitting upright on the bed now, nervously playing with her hands. I handed the food to her, sitting on the bed and pulling her back between my legs so she could lean onto my chest.

"They're getting worse" I mumbled and Ariadne just ate slowly.

"She loves him, you know I.... I just fucked it up"

"Ariadne Max's decision has nothing to do with you. Regardless if you were fighting what does that have to do with him leaving Phoenix?" I spoke softly, rubbing her arms gently and placing my chin on the top of her head. "Max has his own monsters.. Those voices never stop, he makes bad decisions like all of us, but that isn't because of you"

She sighed, placing the now empty bowl on the floor and she turned to face me. "I would never do something like that to you" I spoke, pushing her hair behind her ear, bringing my lips to hers and kissing her softly. "I think we should start strategizing about bullet farm"

"Yeah...." She sighed "but not now... Just.. I just wanna spend some time with you" she kissed me again, her fingers interlocking with mine, sending chills through my spine. Ariadne was still just as perfect as the day we got her from Gas Town, she caught my eye in that very second and I knew right there that she was significant, that's why I told Max to save them, there was something about her, she was so important, especially to me.