Chapter 6: Gaining Trust

I watched from afar Phoenix and Ariadne laughing over their breakfast, they were different with each other, there was so much trust in between them, and trust was something the wasteland didn't come with.

I've known nothing but, death, blood and betrayal and when I met Max, well I almost tried to kill him, he proved himself trustworthy with time, but I didn't know if these two could be trusted.
On one hand, they could be spies from Gas Town, trying to take us down from the inside, but on the other hand they were imprisoned, and seemed genuinely trustworthy. I scratched my head, not really knowing how to feel.

In came Max, half asleep, rubbing his left eye as he walked to me for food. I handed him his bowl and he silently nodded, his way of saying thank you.

"Do you trust them?" I mumbled before he walked away. Max looked over at the two, then back at me, shrugged and went on his way. I don't know why I ask Max anything, he doesn't really give a shit. I sighed to myself, grabbed my bowl of food and walked towards the two girls who didn't even hesitate on giving me a seat at their table.

"Mornin'" Ariadne spoke, giving me a slight smile. I could help but notice just how blue her eyes actually were, and got lost for a second.

"Morning" I smiled back as I began to dig into my food, wasteland food wasn't great, but it was food. Phoenix stood from the table, tapping Ariadne on the back.

"I'll leave you two, told Max I'd help him with his car" she smiled and was off on her way towards Max. I chuckled to myself, no way in hell would he let her touch his car if he didn't feel she was somewhat trustworthy.

"How you holding up?" I began, looking up at Ariadne, her long blonde hair flowing so nicely down her back, I could see more of her tattoos now, she was wearing a short sleeve shirt, and they were beautiful.

"I'm alright, coulda slept a little more, but Phoenix was so excited to be working on a car again" she spoke quietly, I was sure no one else could hear her but me.

"You know you can go back and sleep" I laughed, I smiled more when I talked to her, and I didn't really understand why.

"Nah, I'm already awake" she chuckled.

"I know it's not the greatest place, but, it's better than what's out there"

"Better than gas town" she grumbled and we both laughed. I trusted her, but I didn't know why, another gut feeling. All of a sudden, the raiders stormed through, heading outside to ready their vehicles for the raids. "What are they doing?" She asked, watching them warily.

"Raiders, they get us scrap, food, water, everything we need, everyone that lives here goes eventually, it's like a cycle" Ariadne nodded, sipping some water from her cup. "Next time I go on one I'll take you with me, show you the ropes" I gave her my best smile, and I didn't know if the pink colour on her cheeks was because of me or the heat of the desert. "So what, you a mechanic too?"

"I know stuff, but I'm more of a warrior" I nodded, she was like me, I knew everything I needed to know. "By the way... What you did here, for the wives, For everyone, it's amazing, you saved so many lives Furiosa" I chuckled, blushing a little bit.

"I do what I can" I smiled, turning towards her more. I could tell she wasn't really ready to open up, but she opened up a little for me and that was enough.