Chapter 32: Comforting Silence

I could feel Max arm tightening around me, like he was afraid to let go, afraid something might happen to me, but he stayed quiet. I could tell that his thoughts were consuming him. He pulled me as close as he could, and not once did I ever think I would be this close to Max.

"Hey..." I breathed, he stared at the floor. I brought my hand gently to his face, and turned it so he looked at me. "Everything's alright, Max" he stared at me for a moment, his mouth opening to say something, but he didn't, he just turned away again. I thought about Ariadne for a moment, she was probably off with Furiosa, they were spending a lot of time together lately. I stood up, cringing a little bit from my healing wound. "Come" I spoke, grabbing his hand and walking with him to the lower levels. I smiled at everyone, I was more familiar with them now, but I wasted no time bringing him into the garage.

Max looked around curiously, furrowing his eyebrows as he looked at me, wondering what I was doing.

"Let's go somewhere! Let's just drive" I said, grabbing his hand and leading him to his car. Max didn't really hesitate, he got into the car, but into the passenger seat. I stared at him, confused.

"Well you wanted to go somewhere, so you drive" he chuckled a little bit, he was lightening up and it made me smile. I got in and sped off onto the sand road, I swore I could see Ariadne and Furiosa sitting with each other. I was so happy that Ariadne was getting to know her.

Max rested his head on the side, closing his eyes as I drove down the dirt road. I saw a huge rock and decided that this is where we were going to stop. I pulled the car to a gentle halt and climbed out. Max looked around, the same confused look he had when I brought him to the engine but he got out and followed me. I climbed up on top of the rock, offering my hand to him but he climbed up effortlessly and sat next to me. The stars were coming out, and they were so beautiful.

"It's beautiful without all those city lights to ruin em" I sighed, realizing then just how many stars there were in the sky. Max stared at the sky, then back at me for a while I saw his hand move towards mine but he pulled it away before he touched it. I looked over at him, but he was now fixed on the starry sky. I no longer saw a hard man who didn't care about anything, I saw a beaten and torn one who hated the world and himself for what he couldn't do.

I leaned my head on his shoulder again, feeling the warmth coming off him. "You feeling better?" I whispered. Max stayed silent, but leaned his head over to rest on mine, and I knew in that moment, Max trusted me.