Chapter 23: Knocked Out

I shoot the war boy immediately. Adrenaline pumping, I run to Phoenix putting pressure on her wound. "Hey hey hey, you're gonna be okay." I say panicking. I pick her up and put her in my car. "Let's go!" I yell to Furiosa immediately starting the engine going back to the Citadel as fast as possible.

She's bleeding a lot but I know she will be okay. I grab a small about of alcohol and apply it to the wound and grab cloth and put pressure on the now cleaned wound.

Eventually making it back to the Citadel, I park my car, grab Phoenix and take her to a room. These women will help her and see her up.

I sit by her the whole time holding her hand. Assuming that's probably gotta hurt a lot. There isn't anesthetic anymore.

She's all sewn up and I carry hue carefully to her bed to rest. I see Furiosa coming through with Ariadne. She's beat to hell and back. "Is she gonna be alright??" I ask hint of concern in my voice. "I think so." Furiosa replys, tension in her voice. She's still very angry and probably ready for vengeance. I've never seen her this angry, even when she was helping the wives. "How's Phoenix?" She asks worried about both of them. "She's okay, they got the bullet out and fixed her up." I reply still angry.

It's night time now and I haven't left the room once. Keeping an eye on both of them. We can't afford for that to happen again.

I grab ahold of Phoenix's hand and rub my thumb with hers. I begin to hear Glory again. "Max? Where were you?". I look around as if she's actually there. I can't let anyone die on my watch. As tense as I am I start to drift off to sleep shrugging off the voices. I lay my head down next to Phoenix's hand still holding it.