Chapter 55: You're Mine

I laid with Ariadne for a whole, just watching her sleep, she was so peaceful, so beautiful. I grabbed the radio I gave her a while back. putting in a classical cd and putting it next to her, I heard that music altered dreams, maybe if I did that her dreams would be better.

The door opened, an Max walked in, cradling a sleeping Phoenix in his arms. He nodded towards me as a greeting, slowly placing her on her bed and covering her with her blanket, placing a gentle kiss on her forehead.

"Sweet dreams" I said looking back at Ariadne and kissing her cheek, making my way out of the room with Max. He didn't seem so hostile right now, he looked calm... Calm Max? It was weird but I was happy he was feeling ok for once.

Him and I sat at a table, both agreeing we were starving, he hadn't ate much since Phoenix was stabbed, he stayed in that room with her as soon as he was allowed, he didn't leave, not once.

We were quiet for a bit, just enjoying each other's company.
"You know, I know Phoenix is ok now but she wanted me to tell you something if she didn't make it" Max looked up from his food, cocking head head to the side in curiosity. "She wanted me to tell you that you brought her sanity, wanted me to tell you she loved you" Max's face hardened a little bit, probably thinking back to his wife and wondering if he was ready to love again. But then his face softened, and I could see his lips curl at the side, a small smile, barely noticeable, but I could tell he was happy about it. Happy max? What a weird day.

Max stared at me a little, spooning some more soup into his mouth. "You remember when I was keeping watch in the cave?" I nodded, wondering what he was getting at "well when Ariadne was sleeping, before her nightmares, I could hear her mumbling your name, she dreams about you" I blushed, smiling and looking down at my soup, I haven't been happy in this wasteland, not ever, until she came into my life and changed everything. She brought me happiness that I didn't even think existed anymore, she taught me how to love again when I thought love was destroyed. Ariadne was a diamond in the rough, beaten and torn like the rest of us in the wasteland.

Jeet walked slowly away from the infirmary corridor, all bandaged up and looking so much better. He sat next to Max, shoving his food down his throat. I laughed, glad that Jeet could fight it off. The doctors tried all they could to help him with his headaches, but no one knew what to do. Jeet was one of the strongest people I knew.

"So" he cleared his throat. "How's blondie?" He asked looking at me, a mischievous smirk on his face. I laughed, telling him how amazing she was.

He turned to Max "your girl make it out alright?" His face serious now. Max's eyebrows furrowed when he said 'your girl' but he didn't say anything about it.

"Yeah, she woke up a few hours ago" Jeet nodded.

"Well thank god, those girls can take a beating." He stood up, taking his empty bowl and putting it with the others to be washed.
"I'm gonna get some rest, you guys should too, it's been a long couple days" I told him goodnight hugging him softly and letting him go upstairs.

"Night, Max" I said turning around to face him and kissed him gently on his head. Max looked up at me, giving me a weird look, I've never done that before. These days I realized how much I actually cared for Max, he was family, we were all family and he stood by us always. I laid in to bed and for once I fell asleep without a worry in my mind.