Chapter 63: I Don't Understand You

She hasn't spoken to me in days... Well she has occasionally but she's been distant. Something was bothering her, and seeing her so angry and frustrated made me angry and frustrated. I thought this was all done, I thought all of that was because of Scrotus.

I wondered where she was, she wasn't in her room, or the cafeteria, wasn't in any of the workout rooms or the training rooms. I sighed, wondering if Phoenix knew anything. I walked into the garage, but froze in my tracks. Her arms were around his neck and his holding her waist I didn't know if their foreheads were pressed together and they were just silent or if they were kissing. Either way, I was going to leave them alone, Max needed that comfort.

I wandered outside, I could see Jeet sitting with her doing silly things and yelling, she had a smile on her face, not her big beautiful happy smile but a smile. Regardless of all Jeet's pain, he tried to stay as positive as he could when he was around us. Jeet saw me, screaming out my name and waving furiously, Ariadne pushed her blonde locks behind her ear. I approached them, my eyes squinting in the hot sun. I sat on the other side of Ariadne, snaking my good arm around her waist. She didn't pull away, but she looked down at her feet.

"Hey..." I spoke softly, kissing her cheek multiple times in attempt to make her smile. Jeet stood up screaming at one of the kids to stop playing on the war rig. The child didn't listen and Jeet chased him around probably scaring the child, I laughed. Ariadne and I now sat alone, she looked over at me and I pressed my forehead to hers. "Are you alright?" I spoke, she turned away looking into the distance, scanning the horizon.

"I'm fine, Furiosa" she mumbled. I frowned... Did she not want me anymore...? Was that it? I shook the thought out of my head, I didn't want to think that even for a second, it hurt too much.

"Ariadne-"

"I'm fine, ok?!" She snapped, scratching her arm slightly. I sighed, getting up to my feet and looking down at her,

"What, what do you want me to do?" I asked, my hands on my hips, looking into her eyes that were just full of anger, "you want me gone?" I asked, my voice breaking. She stared at me like I was stupid.

"How could you ever fucking think that?!" Her voice raised, she stood now looking me in my eyes.

"Well what else am I supposed to think? You haven't spoken to me in days!"

"I... I'm just dealing with some stuff ok? This is the only way I know how to do it alright?!" She threw her arms in the air turning her back to me.

"Ariadne, I love you" I spoke, my voice quiet and broken. She turned around, her face softened but she just looked into my eyes. "I... I'm sorry... I'll give you some space" I breathed, turning around and walking away slowly, wiping the tears that were now sliding down my face away as I headed back into the citadel.