Chapter 81: Interesting Raid

"ARE WE THERE YET" I yell like an annoying child from the passenger seat. Max laughed turning to glance at me.

"Well what do you see?" He asked, sarcastically I groaned, we've been driving for hours. We had already found a bunch of shit, spare parts for the rigs and cars and some fragments of the past, I even found w new CD for Ariadne, but I wasn't sure if it would work.

"SAND" I huffed, crossing my arms over my chest "SO MUCH SAND" Max squinted his eyes, noticing a little building in the distance, "we checking that out?" I asked, he nodded, turning his car towards it and speeding towards it.

He pulled up slowly and we both got out, grabbing our weapons just incase something happened. We slowly entered, checking our corners first before we looked for anything. Max found a flashlight, some old knives, he liked to collect knives, it was actually kinda cute, he kept them all in a box. I found some old tattered pictures, I couldn't really make out what they were though. I looked around the broken building and found a chest in the far back. I looked back at Max but he was doing his own thing.

I wandered to it, opening it slowly. Empty bottles, a whole bunch of scrap, I dug through it, taking what was useful. I saw something at the bottom, I dug everything out and pulled out small clear bottles, must have been like twenty! I opened one, smelling it and smiling once I realized what it was. Morphine, I could only imagine how happy Jeet would be. I shoved them in my bag.

"PHOENIX! COME HERE!" Max screamed loudly, causing me to jump. I ran to him, my heart racing. He was kneeling, mumbling  I couldn't see what he was looking at.

"Max?..." I asked, kind of scared... Was it a dead body? Max shifted over, and I could see now a scruffy, matted black dog, lying in the sand In front of max wagging its tail happily and trying desperately to lick Max. I walked slowly towards it. He smelled me, licking me and nudging my hand with his head. I haven't seen a dog in a long time. He was skinny, probably starving, but he was still so happy to see us. His ears were pointed and he got to his feet, but couldn't stand up right. His paws were burned and raw, probably from the hot sand.

Max went to pick up the dog, but he growled a little, I guess he was a little shaken and scared. "Shh, I'm not going to hurt you" his voice was soft and gentle he tried again, and he let him this time. Max got to his feet cradling the dog in his arms. He whimpered and max quickly put him in the back seat of his car.

Max put his arm around me, exhaling deeply, "looks like we found a new friend" he laughed, and both of us got into the car, finally making our way home.