Chapter 24: Sharp Pains

I woke up gasping for air, it then was suddenly met with the pain in my side that pulsated through my body. I didn't regret it though, it was for Ariadne and I'd do it all again if I had to. I sat up, yelping in pain. I felt a hand touch my shoulder gently and Max's tired eyes met mine, he looked like he just woke up. I suddenly felt his hand on mine, and looked over to see his hand already linked to mine. He gently pushed me back down onto the bed.

"Don't move" he spoke his voice hard and rough but soft at the same time. I looked across the room, Ariadne was there, safe and sound. I sighed in relief. Max lifted the blanket from my body,  his eyes examining the wound. "You lost a lot of blood" he spoke, putting more gauze on the wound.

Max was with me when they took out the bullet and stitched me up, I remember that, he held my hand because the pain was almost too much to bare, but I figured he would've left when I fell asleep. Yet the road warrior was right beside me. "We're you here all night?" I breathed, my voice could barely make out anything more than a whisper. He nodded turning his head as the door opened. Furiosa walked in holding some food and water. Max helped me sit up, putting a pillow behind my back so I could lean on it. He took the food and water from Furiosa and handed it gently to me. "You need to eat"

I watched as Furiosa did the same thing to Ariadne, and if I would trust anyone to take care of her other than me, it was Furiosa. I watched her bring the water to her lips, as Ariadne struggled to sip from the water.

"You alright over there?" I called out to her, chuckling, then took in a sharp breath, or hurt to laugh.

Ariadne smiled sitting up a little more and began to eat the food. "Why'd you have to go and get shot?" She joked, her smile getting even bigger.

"All for you, asshole" I laughed, wincing again.

"Shhhhhhh" Max breathed, noticing how bad I hurt when I laughed. I slowly grabbed the bread and ate it. I watched as Ariadne and Furiosa had a conversation, I could finally see Ariadne opening up to someone else, little by little.

I was suddenly shocked by a cold feeling to my face, followed by a burning sensation.

"FUCK" I took in a sharp breath.

"Quiet" Max breathed, pressing some cotton full of alcohol to my eyebrow, a wound he probably just noticed. I let him continue. He stood up, removing the pillow from my back and helping me lean back onto the bed. "Rest" he mumbled, making his way out with Furiosa.

I looked over at Ariadne, who was already looking at me.

"Thank you..." She breathed, a half smile on her lips.

"Hey, that's what you do for family" I smiled.