Chapter 56: Happiness

She's never done that to me before. Let alone done that. I continue eating the soup. I hadn't realized how hungry I actually was until now. I sat there for a second before getting up and putting the bowl up. I go to my garage and I start fixing whatever broken with my car. I'm still thinking about her.

I'm still not sure if I should allow myself to love. I'm not sure if I should let her in yet. I know now that she feels the same. I know how I feel. "Max?" I hear a familiar voice. I look around. No one. "Max? Where were you, Max?". I hear it again. I look around, again, no one. I can't silence them. I leave the garage and walk to Phoenix's room.

I sit next to her bed. I gently grab her hand and hold it tight. She shifts in her sleep but holds my hand back. I lay my head down. The voices are still loud and clear. I continue holding her hand.

I feel a hand on the back of my head. "Max? You alright?" Phoenix whispers to me. I stay silent. My thoughts have overwhelmed me. She sits up, groaning in pain. "You need to lay down" I say, wanting her to rest. She still hasn't let go of my hand. She doesn't listen. She gently lays my head on her lap and rubs my back. I begin to relax. The voices start to die down.

I decide to get on the bed and lay down next to her. I hold her tight but gently, favoring her wound.  I grab her hand holding it tight as I slowly drift to sleep. I make sure she's comfortable first. My head finally silent. I fall asleep.