Chapter 30: The Old Days

I sighed to myself, something was wrong with Ariadne. I thought to myself for a minute, playing around with the remaining food in my bowl.  I got up from the table, smiling to the others sitting there before I was off to my room.

I could see the distraught in Ariadne's eyes, and it really bothered me, I wanted to make sure that she was the happiest she could be. We have all struggled, and we all deserve happiness.

I dug through everything, hoping to god that when I found it, it would still work. I pulled apart my room, cursing to myself when I couldn't find what I was looking for. I looked around the room for a moment, trying to remember when I saw it last. I aggressively pushed my bed out of the way and there it was, a beautiful black radio with a cd compartment, something I found during a raid and held close to me. I turned it on, hoping that the batteries inside still had some life. Seeing that it worked, I turned it off, not wanting to waste any of the battery life.

I then turned to my small bookshelf, taking a box down and opening it up, CDs, found on raids, old cd's most were damaged but I grabbed the few that weren't and grabbed the radio and dashed out of the room. I searched the citadel for Ariadne, but she was nowhere to be found, she wasn't in the cafeteria, she wasn't in her room with Phoenix, though Max wouldn't leave her side, I wondered what was going through his mind. I shook it off, I needed to find Ariadne.

I wandered outside, my skin hot from the blistering sun, but I saw her blonde hair glistening like gold, she was off in her own mind, like all of us were time to time. I looked through the cd's I had, old classical ones, there was a jazz one and I think one of them said Elvis but it was so scratched up I couldn't tell. I put in one of the classical ones, they were the least damaged, though I wished I found something that was more... Well more.

I slid the cd in and turned it on, smiling to myself as I quietly approached Ariadne. When I pressed play the music quietly came through the speakers, it's was quiet, but enough for Ariadne to turn around, puzzled.

I had a huge grin on my face as I sat down next to her, handing her the radio and she examined it, her eyes lit up, she smiled a huge smile and then her eyes met mine. I had a feeling in the pit of my stomach that I couldn't explain.

"Wh-where did you find this?" She said, astonished, pressing the volume button, turning it up louder.

"Found it on a raid, forgot about it until we were talking that day about how we missed music" I leaned back on my arms, looking out into the distance. "You looked upset, so I figured it was the best time to use it" I held up the other cd's I had and she took them, looking through each one.

"Jazz, Elvis, is that Jimi Hendrix?!" She exclaimed, laughing in delight.

"You can keep it, I never really used it much, and I know you love it" she smiled at me throwing her arms around my neck and pulling me into a tight hug. My arms slid around her holding her for what I felt was so long.

"Thank you so much!" She beamed, kissing my cheek lightly and putting another CD in.

We spend hours outside, just listening to music for the first time in a very long time.