Chapter 37: Determination

I overheard it, all of it. My heart fell to my stomach, why did Phoenix want to leave, and why was Ariadne going with her, she was smarter then that. They couldn't leave, we needed them, there's a war on the horizon, if they leave they're going to get captured... I marched down the corridor, opening the door to Max's vault without permission and entering. Max was sprawled out on his bed, but he was wide awake. I crossed my arms on my chest, looking down at Max.

"Phoenix wants to leave, and she's taking Ariadne with her" I growled, Max's head shot up and met my eyes, trying to see if I was joking, "what exactly happened between you two? One day you can't leave her alone and the next she's up and ready to go" Max sat up scratching his head with a confused look on his face.

I leaned into his face, looking him dead in the eye. "What is it max? You scared?" I growled, I knew I was getting to him somehow even if he wasn't showing it. "You're scared to lose her like you did Jessie?" He looked away, fury in his eyes. "Well guess what?! That's exactly what's happening!" I yelled, Max stood up.

"Don't you ever talk about Jessie again" he stared at me, I couldn't read him this time, his eyes were stone cold.

"Max they are leaving, do you not understand that we are on the brink of War?! We NEED them here" Max shook his head.

"No, you want Ariadne here, that's all your worried about"

"Are you fucking serious? There is SO much more than the feelings I have for her! Scrotus is not Immortan, Max. He's smarter, he'll plan an attack that we won't be able to handle and the ONLY way we can survive it is if we have them" Max turned to look at me, his arms folded across his chest. "Max if you let her go she'll never survive"

"They can take care of themselves"

"Just the two of them?! Against an army?! Are you even listening to yourself?" Max was silent, but I knew this conversation was over, he stormed out of the room, probably went straight down to work on his car. I yelled in frustration.

-early morning-

I sat awake waiting for them to make their move, silently a frustrated Ariadne and a very angry Phoenix made their way towards the bike rooms. Ariadne couldn't even look at me, I wondered if she even planned to tell me. Phoenix walked ahead of her, desperate to get away, but Ariadne walked slower, allowing me to grab her arm and pull her away without Phoenix noticing.

"Where are you going?" I questioned, Ariadne looked nervous, but held her ground as best as she could.

"Just... Uh, going for a ride" I shook my head.

"Why are you leaving?" I spoke more clearly, and Ariadne already knew that I knew.

"I can't let her go alone, she won't even tell me what happened, she's just so determined to leave!" Ariadne revealed, holding her head in her hands. I pulled her into my arms, holding her closely.

"You're not going anywhere, do you understand?" Her beautiful blue eyes met mine, looking up at me with wonder, "we need you here... I need you here" she just stared at me, but in an instant she pressed her lips to mine, gently but rough at the same time.

"I don't want to go, but I can't leave her alone..." She spoke, worry in her voice.

"It's only a matter of time before she'll notice that you're not with her, she won't leave without you" Ariadne sighed, looking down at her feet.

"Has Max said anything to you? I have a feeling something happened" I shook my head,

"He doesn't really open up to me about what he's feeling, but I talked to him... Hopefully he'll get to her before we have to"