Chapter 18: Reclaim the power of the shinigami

Kuroki's pov

I haven't said a word to anyone, the only person I talked to was ichigo. He was my comforting pillow. Ishihara was so worried about me that he would drag Keigo, Mizuiro and Seiji around following after me to make sure I was okay. Although Ishihara is my best friend, Ichigo was the only one I can turn to right now. I was sitting in my seat near, staring out the window. I can't believe everyone couldn't remember who Rukia was, maybe this is what happens when you go back to the soul society. Flashbacks of that night flashed through my head. I had given Rukia a necklace, a little while after we first met. It was a necklace that had a heart on it saying best friends, each one had one word. I got the necklace because I became close with rukia, she was my best friend. Why didn't she turn around when I called her name? My eyes began to water, as I began to get angry. I heard the teacher tell us not to die before September and dismisses us for summer vacation, my anger only grew as Keigo kept talking. Memories of Rukia flooded through my brain, I felt as if Rukia betrayed us. The words she said to us that night, made me want to cry and scream and kick and yell. I balled up my fists in anger, as the words she said repeat in my head. She was the best thing that happened to us, and she just turned away from us and left Ichigo to die. I knew that I had only known her for a short amount of time, but in that time I managed to make a lifelong friend.

"Kuro, you'll never guess what happened in class today. Seiji picked a fight with another boy in class. Don't worry, he's not in serious trouble or anything but the guy he got into an argument with he got in big trouble. I mean really big trouble. The reason why Seiji got into an argument, with another boy was because he was sticking up for you. The guy was talking bad about you, so Seiji got angry and stood up for you. Aren't you happy, he did that?" Ishihara's talking only mad me angrier, I was trying to push it down but it didn't work.

"Shutup! Shutup! Shutup! Can't you see, I'm having a problem here and with you talking so much I can't concentrate!! Stop talking!!!" Tears filled my eyes, as I stood up from my chair yelling at him. Ishihara, Seiji and Ichigo's group looked at me, taken back at my sudden outburst. "I'm sorry, I have to go." I grabbed my sweater and my book bag, pushing past Ishihara and Seiji. "Wait Kuro, come back." Ichigo grabbed my arm but I jerked away, looking him in the eye and ran off. I made it to my special place in the forest, where I could be alone. I leaned against a tree, dropping everything. I pulled Mari out from my bag and took the pill from her, despite her yelling at me. I wiped it off and swallowed it, separating from my body.

"Mari, go home." I said, taking Yuki out of his sheath. "But Kisuke told you to not to over exert yourself. I'm staying here and you can't make me go." Mari yelled, only making me angrier.

"You can't make me leave you by yourself. It's not safe." She said, but she kept going. "Just go home, Mari!! Don't tell Ichigo or Kon where I am. Just go home! I don't want you here!" I yelled, "Kuro," She started but trailed off, when she saw my face and rushed off home.

I slashed Yuki against another tree out of anger, I was tired and hurt. "You need to stop. You need to calm down." I heard a voice behind me, I didn't need to turn around to know who it was but I did anyways.

"Don't tell me what to do Ichigo." I shook my head, "You need to stop. I know you're hurting, but you need to stay calm and level headed." He said, as I looked up at him.

"I can't be level headed and I can't be calm, Ichigo. She left us. She left you to die!" Tears streamed down my face, "She left me. I trusted her Ichigo and she left you, just lying there to die. Do you know how I would have felt if you ended up dying? You're my best friend and losing you like that is scary." I broke down in tears, Ichigo came closer to and wrapped me in a hug. He took my sword, putting it in its sheath. I fell asleep crying in his arms, and I felt him carry me.

"Ichigo, why are you carrying Kuro and where did Rukia go? Why did everyone forget Rukia?" I heard Orihime ask, as I heard ichigo tell her about everything and why he was carrying me. Orihime tells him that she could see spirits, which is surprising to me. "How long have you been able to see them?" Ichigo asked, "Since the incident with my brother. I'm grateful that you two helped my brother go to the other side. He must be happy there." She said, "I wonder if she is happy there and if her friends and family are there." Orihime stated.

But that only made me think of how Byakuya, bringing her back just so she could die. "If Rukia dies, then we won't be able to see her anymore." Orihime said and I smiled lightly, "Rukia was there, but this is where she should be.'' Ichigo said and then he thanked Orihime and runs off. When I woke up, we were in Kisuke's shop down in this large cave. "Come on, let's get this session started." Ichigo said, as Kisuke hits us both with the cane. Ichigo started to breathe hard, "Kisuke, what's wrong with Ichigo?" I asked, turning to him. "He's having trouble breathing, because he is only a regular soul with no spiritual powers. We have to get that power back or else you won't be able to save Rukia." Kisuke said and then he calls Ururu over, telling us we have to fit her as our first lesson. 

"This lesson will end, when one of you is unable to fight anymore." Kisuke said. Ichigo started complaining, completely mortified that he had to fight a child but as for me it proved to be a challenge. Ururu throws over safety gear, telling us to put it on or we die. I put it on as Ururu runs towards us, her fist collided into the ground but I dodged it. I didn't see Ichigo, I started to wonder if he got hit but he comes running out of the smoke. He runs past Ururu and puts on the gear, for some reason I knew exactly what he was thinking. He thought he could take her on, so he turned around. I sighed, shaking my head as I watched my brother.

He was on the offensive, but he didn't want to hit her either. I stood back, watching as Ichigo hits Ururu's headband but he ended up scratching her. She got angry and kicked Ichigo, sending him flying into some rocks while I stood there in complete shock. Well damn, she's strong. "Ichigo!" I turned around, and as the smoke settles, I saw that Tessai had caught Ichigo while Kisuke was holding Ururu's leg. Ichigo asks for another chance, but he congratulated us making ichigo confused and Kisuke turns to us. "I never said that you had to beat Ururu to complete this lesson." Kisuke explained, "She had enough strength to go up against a soul reaper, so there is no way you can go up against her. Maybe Kuro can. Are you still having trouble breathing?" Kisuke asked, and Ichigo shook his head no.

"You have successfully gained back your spirit energy, the soul gain spirit energy faster if it's life is in danger. However, if you hadn't of dodged the attack you would have died." Ichigo started getting angry at him, but Kisuke smiled. I shook my head, giving off a small smile seeing that Kisuke was getting on Ichigo's nerves. "I believed you would dodge it. To celebrate the succession of passing lesson one, we will jump straight into lesson two." Tessai comes over with an ax and cuts Ichigo's chain of fate, making me shout.

"What are you doing?!!" I yelled, turning to Kisuke.

Tessai was sitting on Ichigo, telling him that he would die soon. "What do you mean he will die soon?!" I shouted in irritation, making Kisuke put a hand on my shoulder.

"Once the chain of fate is cut, the soul can no longer return to its body. The chain will corrode and once its gone ichigo will become a hollow. In order to prevent this he has to regain his soul reaper powers." Kisuke explains, as a giant hole appears under Ichigo and Tessai and they both fall down the hole. Tessai bounds Ichigo and Kisuke tells him that he has to get out of the hole in that condition.

"This lesson is the shattered shaft. In three days, your chain will fully corrode and we will have no choice but to kill you." Kisuke said seriously, making me growl at him.

"Come on, Kuro. I have special training for you." He grabbed my arm, pulling me away.