Chapter 55: Renji, oath of the soul! Death match with Byakuya!

3rd person's pov

Ichigo has a flashback of the day he became a shinigami, he also had a flashback of what happened to his sister the day she became one. He remembered how Rukia saved his family and all of the fights he had been in over the past few months and days, so he declares that he will achieve bankai today. He was still running around with the clones of zangetsu, who were chasing and attacking him at the same time. Rei, Yukio and Toshihiro had already completed their training for bankai and was watching Kuroki and Ichigo train along with Yoruichi. "We don't have a lot of time yet and they still haven't been able to reach bankai." Yoruichi said, "Yoruichi.. Don't worry, those two will achieve bankai if that's the last thing they do." Yukio said, as he looked towards Ichigo. "You still haven't reached bankai yet, Ichigo." Zangetsu said, "Well, then stop holding back on me!" Zangetsu agrees to Ichigo's statement and they attack each other. They look over to Kuroki, who was now wielding a much heavier and larger sword than the one she had previously. "Whoa, would you look at the size of that thing!!" Yukio shouted, just as Kuroki sent Yuki flying back. "She sent him flying! Not once have I seen her do that once!!" Yukio shouted in amazement, "The look in Yuki's eyes. They sparkle, that must mean she's getting close to achieving her bankai." Yoruichi said, with Rei and Toshihiro nodding in agreement.

Meanwhile, outside in the Seiritei Renji had dispatched a group of soul reapers in his way, breaking their swords so they can't follow after him. He leaves the group and continues on. As he runs, he has flashbacks of the days he spent with Rukia before they became Shinigami. As he passes through a doorway, a tremendous reiatsu bears down on him. He feels it and looks up to see Captain Kuchiki, who is watching from atop a building. "Let me pass," Renji stated, "I cannot let you do that." Byakuya said and attempts to attack him with his senka, but Renji blocks the attack and pushes Byakuya away from him. "I cannot be killed by those skills, because I have seen them so much and I'm more powerful." Renji said, but Byakuya is not impressed and prepares to release his shikia. Before he could complete his attack, Zabimaru appears without Renji having to call out to them. At first Byakuya is startled but covers it quickly, "Did you finally achieve bankai?" he asked Renji, but Renji didn't answer him and instead powers up his reiatsu.

In the mean time, Ichigo continues training but time is running out and so is his energy.

"Do you want to continue?" Zangetsu asks and just as he does, there is a large explosion in Kuroki's area. Back with Renji, he calls out for bankai and is covered by a large cloud of smoke. When it clears he is now standing next to a giant long, skeletal version of Zabimaru, with a snake head at the end. "Hihio Zabimaru!" He called out. Byakuya appears calm, but deep down he is really pissed off. "When did you achieve bankai, Renji?" He asked, but Renji gave no answer. Still refusing to move Renji sucks in a breath, "I have no choice but to kill you this time and go on." He said.

Byakuya is confident that Renji will do no such thing. Renji attacks and Byakuya dodges it, leaving a path of destruction as the Bankai hits surrounding buildings. As the Bankai hits Byakuya, Byakuya blocks with his sword, and then releases it to sever the Bankai. The parts fall to the ground, but join up again. Byakuya becomes surprised much to Renji's pleasure, "They stay together because it's connected to my reiatsu." Renji explained to him. Renji attacks from underground and Byakuya lands on one knee. "I will finish this fight, now." Renji said in complete confidence, "I will finish this fight with my own sword." Byakuya said and Renji attacks him. At the last moment, Byakuya uses a kido blast that hits the bankai dead on. Startled that Byakuya was able to get so much power even though he skipped the incantation, Renji finds Byakuya's shadow and attacks. The Bankai goes out of control, crashing into the ground. "The attack isn't meant to blind, it was merely to confuse the movements of the bankai. Renji tries to attack again, but is now bound by Byakuya. "You need to be reminded that I can go bankai as well." Byakuya said calmly and drops his sword to activate the Bankai, a thousand swords come out of the ground scattering into uncountable blades. Renji can only watch in horror, there is a great crash and the building behind Renji is torn by the blades. Renji freezes as blood comes running down his face, then he sprays blood from his entire body and falls to the ground.

"Your fangs will not reach me," Byakuya said, as he was turning to leave.

As he walks away, Renji groans and tries to get up. "Stop moving." Byakuya said, but Renji doesn't listen. Renji rushes towards Byakuya, but before he could touch him several pink blades pierce Renji going through his arms. Renji screams and falls back to the ground, no longer able to move. "Stop moving or you'll die." Byakuya said, so Renji just sits on the ground thinking.

"Are you gonna get up?" Zangetsu asked Ichigo, who smiled at the same does Renji. "I promised my soul to go on," Renji and Ichigo said at the same time. Renji stands up, shattering the blades piercing him surprising Byakuya as he charges at Byakuya. There is a spray of blood as they meet. Renji looks down and sees the upper half of his blade fall to the ground. The rest of the blade crumbles and Renji falls to the ground unconscious. Impressed, Byakuya removes his scarf and throws it over Renji, and then he walks away. Meanwhile, Rukia senses Renji's spiritual disappear and stops walking in shock. She tries to sense him but can't "Why did he have to die?" She asked and turns to see Captain Gin Ichimaru, walking towards her.