Chapter 14: Irene Rose

A.N. Above or on the side is Alpha Archer on the right and his brother Jacob on the left. However, you can imagine the brothers however you'd like.

Alpha Archer asked the maids to bring me dinner, but after that short-ended argument, I had no desire to eat the food which one of the maids dropped in. I couldn't bring myself to eat the food, for all I know Alpha Archer might have poisoned or put something in the food. If I was to eat, I would eat my own cooked meals so I don't have to eat the food here. When Alpha Archer left I took it upon myself to explore more properly was in this room, after looking through a number of cupboards and drawers I found all my belongings placed in neat and organised piles in the place where they were put. Everything in the room was clean and I could tell there was no dust left on even the highest shelf meaning the maids must've cleaned the room before I got here, where ever 'here' is.

I was up to my sixth book when the door opened once again and a familiar scent blew into the room, and I was thankful it was not Alpha Archer's but was his brother Jacob. He moved quickly, long strides as he reached my end of the couch and gave me pleasant smile as he sat on one of the love seats. He casually rested on the seat, his one leg crossed on his other leg as he eyed me. 

"I see my brother still hasn't let you left the room." he smirked as he saw the book I was reading which was 'Peter Pan'. I settled my book down and sat upright, scoffing as I recalled the small talk Alpha Archer and I had before Jacob came. "Obviously. He's kept me like a prisoner here." I grimaced and rolled my eyes.

Jacob chuckled and looked away, the light from the window reflecting on his face showing off his chiselled jawline. "Yes, I can see that. Haven't I properly introduced myself, haven't I? I'm Jacob. The idiot's younger brother who happens to be one of the commander's of our warriors. I'm twenty-two and second eldest  in my family." He introduced and his smirk disappeared under a small smile. 

Finally, at least someone is pleasant around here

I returned the smile. "Well, I'm Irene Rose. I have no rank beside middle class in my pack. I am twenty-one years of age and I'm the eldest in my family." I said as he moved in his seat to get more comfortable. He nodded and outstretched his hand for a handshake, I grabbed in and we shook hands, I noticed how small my hand was compared to him and couldn't help but compare Jacob's hands with his brother who had very rough hands whereas Jacob's was smooth. "Nice to meet you properly Irene," he said, after three seconds of handshaking he let go of my hand. 

I gave him a happy smile as we both rested back into our chairs. "Do you have a mate?" I asked, as my back touched the couch. My words sat still in the air as he tensed. I watched as his Adam's apple bobbed up and down as he breathed in heavily and exhaled. I sat uncomfortably, as the tension in the air was only beginning to thicken. We stayed in this position for a while, my fidgeting my seat awaiting an answer as Jacob kept breathing in quickly and exhaling deeply. 

The silence was deafening and I struggled to not say anything more. "I'm sorry if I upset you with my question." I squeaked out as I look everywhere besides in, my hands tucked under my bottom as he went more rigid than I thought he could be.

I should not have said anything, I should not have had said anyth-

"She died"

He left straight after that, the tension following him as he left the room. I breathed out a sigh of relief as I allowed myself a few moments before getting up. This is what you get for being nosey. I told myself as I made my way to the bed seeing how it was almost ten o'clock at night. I felt uncomfortable laying down on an unfamiliar bed, however, it was soft, I couldn't bring myself to sleep. I was wide awake, my body stirring as it moved positions to make myself more comfortable, but no sleep seemed to be graced on me. I gave an annoyed sigh as I sat up straight, annoyed at how I couldn't sleep. 

'It's probably the stupid mate bond' I scoffed in my mind as I got up from my bed and eyed at the bedroom doors. I was itching to get out of this room, it was lovely and all, but I need to find a way out of here. I knew that Alpha Archer was going to be mad as hell, but I honestly couldn't give two shits. The untouched food rested on my bedside table and as I looked at it, I realised how hungry I was. I shook my head. 'Don't eat the food. Let's go find some.' I thought and smirked as I got up and walked towards the door. 

My heart was beating erratically as I kept telling myself to venture out. I needed to get out of this room and cook my own food. I could hear no noise through the door, which meant no one was there and no scents could be caught as I pressed myself to the door and strained my ears to listen. 

Satisfied with hearing and smelling no one I held the door knob in my hand and twisted it slowly, trying to not make a sound. I smiled as the door opened slightly and pulled it open to be hit with the smell of old books and pine. I gasped as I stumbled back to the scene and took only a mere half a second to know I was caught with my escape. Standing at the door was Alpha Archer himself who was smirking whilst he stood in the doorway, his hands folded and his blind eyes resting on me. I could smell his irritation as he took one bold step into the room, me taking one step back and one of his eyebrows went up as he stared.

"Shit." I murmured.