Chapter 76: Alpha Archer

GOAL: 440K!

THANK YOU FOR REACHING THESE GOALS. AHHHHH.

PLS READ BABY STEPS ON MY PROFILE!! I JUST UPDATED RIGHT NOW!

    I woke up with my arm wrapped around her body, my waist gripped hers tightly and as I felt her skin, my arms tingled with goosebumps and warmth. I liked the feeling, maybe even loved it, but something bubbled strangely in my stomach, seeing her all beautiful even when she was sleeping. I felt lighter and happier with this feeling, I liked it a lot. But, every time I ask her something, she lies to me, and I felt almost betrayed by that fact. It didn't settle with me every time she lied, but what I want to know is why? Why would she lie to me about how I got my sight back? Or why she was here. It confused me to the point where I just want to ask her everything and anything. But, at the same time, I want to make her happy, I want to hold her and allow her to lie to me as long as I get to talk to her.

   Venus only growled, as if he couldn't talk to me anymore. Maybe forgetting, made him forget how to properly talk instead of being like the animal he is and growl. The confusion was real, this beautiful she-wolf who smelt like roses was someone important to me, the growl's Venus made every time I spoke ill about her has made me realise that she was someone more than a stranger who ran away. The question is, why would she lie to me? What was the big secret she was hiding from me? If only my brother was here, or sister, maybe they'd tell me. But, she would have to tell me, the girl with my arm wrapped around her should be the one to do it.

    I looked at the goddess beside me, the epitome of beauty had a personality and a past she was hiding from me. For all I knew, she could be an old flame, but that wouldn't be why Venus was having a fit inside my head. I guess I'd have to get it out from her somehow. Another question was how?

          "I never got your name," I said with a little curiosity, of course, I was still mad at her, but I couldn't be calling her 'the beautiful lady', I don't think that would be the best. I could see the light in her eyes fade away as she looked at the window, a sigh escaping her lips.

   "I thought you- never mind it's Irene Rose, and it is okay, it's not your fault," she said with a little hint of what she was feeling. Her lips were pulled into a distinctive frown and my heart clenched painfully at the sight of it as Venus whining sadly in my brain.

    "It feels like it though, am I able to call my mother?" I asked her and she nodded in reply, grabbing the phone next to her from the bed and handing it to me. I thanked her softly before going outside to call someone who I know would help me in my predicament. Pressing the numbers into the phone, I pressed the phone against my ear and waited to hear my mother's voice.

   "Hello?" my mother's voice rang comfortingly through the phone and I sighed in relief that she sounded well.

   "Hi mother, it is Archer," I said slowly and I heard her breath hitch in delight.

   "Oh, my boy! Archer! Hello, darling! How is Bali treating you! I heard your eyesight is back! How is Irene doing? You guys must be happy if you said you 'I love you's' to get your eyesight back! Even though you're mates this is such a surprise!" she buzzed happily into the phone. Hearing those words made something drop in the pit of my stomach. What? Do I love you's? ' Why would saying 'I love you' do with anything? Especially with Irene? What is a mate? Doesn't that mean friends?

  "What do you mean?" I asked her, questions rushing through my brain at the new thought.

   "Oh, Jacob told me you forgot. Must've slipped my mind, don't worry about it then," she laughed it off, her voice strained as she tried to change the subject. She put it off so casually that it made me wonder the importance of that sentence was.

   "Mother, do not lie to me please," I pleaded softly, feeling betrayed by my own mother that she'd lie blatantly about something is so important. This might be the key to understanding who Irene was and why was she so upset. I mean, forgetting her shouldn't make her depressed so much unless we had something going on. Apparently, we said 'I love you' and that brought my eyesight back. I felt something churn in the pit of the stomach, pure guilt laced in my veins at the thought of forgetting Irene as my apparent 'love of my life' and my 'mate', but doesn't that mean friends? How could I be mates with her, if I love her? Of course, I don't know why or how I fell in love with Irene. But, still, something was hiding in the part of my life which was forgotten and now the curiosity is undeniable.

    "I cannot tell honey, it is not my place, Irene will have the answers, but she is in a vulnerable state right now. How could you not be when someone so important to you has forgotten who you are. Please be careful with her, I may not like her, but she was-is very important to you. Do not forget that," my mother whispered and my heart clench again, the sadness radiating through her tone was something I did not like.

  "Okay mother, I promise,"  I said to her, sighing as the call lead to a dead end and more pathways to choose from. Goddess, why was this so damn confusing?

    "Good, tell Irene I said hello and please come back safe, I'm sure you'll remember everything in good time, goodbye Archer," she replied and I nodded even though she couldn't see me.

    "Goodbye," I mumbled and I heard the phone ring signalling that she hung on me. Another clue and more questions.

  I shook my head in defeat, the unsatisfying call did not help with the questions that roamed through my head. I had no idea that Irene was that important to me and I felt so guilty knowing I had loved her and I couldn't even remember who she was. Mate? Love? It was all so confusing that I should really start asking the serious questions, but I couldn't do that to Irene. I couldn't make her relive the past when I couldn't remember them. It must be so devasting her to not be remembered by the person she loved. I do feel attracted to her, there are some feelings there, I could feel the sparks and the tension, but something felt void within me that I didn't understand why. Maybe that is where the love should be, where I should love her.

  Goddess, why did I have to forget?

   I sighed heavily and opened the slider door to get back inside the house, I could see Irene visibly still, her body tense as she took a glance up at me. The emptiness in her eyes visible as she looked at her book again.

  "How was the call?" her voice empty and devoid of all emotion and I felt a knife pierce through my chest. The emptiness hollowing something inside of me as she didn't even bother to look at me in the eyes.

  "It was not very informative," I admitted, feeling something tug at my chest. But, it didn't feel like I owned that emotion, the sadness that wavered through me did not feel like my own. As if it was segregated from the rest of my body that made me even more curious as to why I was feeling this way. I could feel the confusion, but the sadness which was embedded inside me was not my own, I didn't think I'd feel as depressed as I should be. But, something was definitely telling me that something was sad. What was the hell going on?

    "Oh," she replied, a little bit of emotion hiding behind her words, maybe it was surprising for the fleeting moment that she said something.

    "But, can I ask you a question?" I said, making my way to the bed and sat down on it. This time, it grabbed her attention and she placed her book down, her emotionless eyes boring into mine and again, another knife went through my chest.

   "What is a mate?" I asked and I watched something flash through her eyes and then something gripped painfully at my chest.