Chapter 18: Christmas Is Nigh

POV: Savannah

"Can I have everyone's attention please," Reece announced, "we'd  like to thank you all for coming today and we're glad that you attended! I just want to say, about seven months ago, I would've never pictured myself where I am today. Without Savannah, and without all of you... you all completed my life. Savannah, would you like to say anything?"

"Not really..."

Reece glared at me like I ruined everything, "Uh, actually, I guess there are a few things I'm thankful for, such as meeting all of you, and having you over."

Reece then gave me a look of approval as he began speaking again, until I cut him off, "but there's more that I'm sorry for than I am thankful for. Everyone, I'm sorry that I'm the beginning, we ruined your lives, I'm sorry that I didn't trust you Reece, that I didn't think your relationship was worth it... and finally, I'm sorry Colin... for everything... I don't even know where to begin." Everyone was silent as I turned around and walked upstairs.

I made it to my room and soon heard Reece begin hosting again. Things sounded like they were on the right path, so I assumed I didn't mess anything up to bad. A few hours passed and I decided to walk downstairs to see the last guest was leaving.

"Are they gone? I asked, standin on the steps and leaning over the rail while I waited for his answer.

"Yeah, no worries."

"Sorry if I ruined your party..."

"No, you actually brought up something that needed to be discussed, it's fine, we—

The front door swung open, "I'm sorry I—"

Colin stopped talking when we made eye contact, and I decided it'd be less awkward if I just went back upstairs. I heard muffled talking, apparently Colin had forgotten his jacket. I eavesdropped the best I could on their chat for a while and then it was silent. I heard footsteps coming up the stairs, figuring it'd be Reece, coming to finish our conversation.

"Knock, knock," he said, standing in my doorway."

"Colin!" I said, practically jumping out of my skin, "what are you doing up here?"

"You weren't downstairs today, and you seem less angry now, so I just figured I had another chance give you your present in person, I already gave Reece his."

He handed me a medium sized replica of the Jolly Roger. I could feel it, I was smiling like an idiot. I looked up at him and saw he was smiling too.

"Do you like it?"

"I love it Colin, thank you!" I exclaimed, getting up to give him a hug, "you even got the cast to sign it! That's awesome!!"

Reece came upstairs as I was putting the model ship down on my desk

"I'm gonna go to Jen's for the night, anybody need anything before I go?"

We both shook our heads no, and followed him back downstairs to say goodbye.

"I should get going too."

"Okay," I said, walking Colin towards the door, "hey, um, Christmas is soon—"

"Two days," he smiled

"Yeah," I replied, "what are you doing that day?"

"I actually don't know, usually I fly to Ireland to—"

"Oh yeah, right. I totally forgot you had family in Ireland!"

"The thing is, I may not even get to see them this year."

"Why not?"

"Just some flight delays, money problems... you name it," he said looking down, flashing a fake smile on his face, "it's fine though..."

I felt kinda bad... If I were alone on Christmas, I don't know what I'd do. He opened the front door and put on his jacket, while I stood In the doorway.

As he began walking to his car, I decided I couldn't let him have Christmas alone.

"Colin!" I shouted, "Why don't you come over here for Christmas? Reece and I both have small families, I don't know about Jen, but I'm sure we have room for one more, if you decide you want to, we're having dinner at 5:00."

I could see his face light up in the distance, "yeah, that'd be nice," he said, getting in his car, "See you later Savannah."

"Bye Colin," I waved and went back inside. It reminded me of the time I ate lunch in his trailer all over again... I guess I'm just a sucker for people being left out during gatherings.

I shut the door and made my way back upstairs. As I got in bed to call it a night, I saw I had gotten a text... from Colin? When did I get Colin's number? ...

Colin: Hey Savannah, thanks again for inviting me over for Christmas.

Me: Is this really you?

Colin: Yes...

Me: How do I even have you as a contact?

Colin: Remember the time Reece told you he was going to be late coming home and I took your phone when you showed me the messages?

Me: Ohh yeahhhh, but why'd you put your number in it? 🤔

Colin: I don't know

Me: 🙄 . . .

Colin: I guess I thought it might come in handy one day.

Me: Ok, well, no problem about the offer.

Me: Text me if you change your mind.

Colin: Of course, by the way... I was on Instagram the other day, and I came across something.

Me: You should really use emojis because I can't tell how you feel about that. 🙈

Colin: Maybe I should just call you

Me: No

Colin: Why

Me: Tell me what you saw on Instagram first.

Colin: Colin's good banana... that's a thing?

Me: Goodnight Colin

Colin: So is THAT what you were referring to last time we talked? 😏

Me: Come to think of it, don't use emojis.

Me: I told you Colin, I was referring to my breakfast.

Colin: I hope not...

Me: GOODNIGHT Colin!!!

I smiled at my phone one last time, before I turned off my lamp and went to sleep.