Chapter 36: Comatose

POV: Savannah

The next morning, we were all woken up by the doctor and some of his staff. They supplied us with coffee and gave us a few minutes to wake up before breaking the news to us about Reece.

"The gun shot your friend suffered was serious... we were shocked he even made it to the hospital," the doctor claimed, "he's a fighter... you should all be proud"

No one knew how to feel. The doctor kept rambling on about pointless medical information that didn't help us figure out anything, and everyone was just waiting for the ball to drop.

"Even though we got him stabilized, he lost a lot of blood in he procedure and during the transfer..."

"So what does that mean exactly?!" Jennifer asked impatiently

"It means he's in a coma—"

"A coma?!"

"For how long???"

"It depends...."

"Depends on what?!?"

I was getting impatient now myself. I always hated how doctors built up the suspense, avoiding straight forward answers.

"It depends on if he makes it out alive... and how much of a fighter he truly is"

There was a long silence and Jennifer began silently sobbing into Colin's shoulder. I had no tears left to spill. I knew what Reece was capable of and I had confidence he could make it through anything. Plus, I knew that I couldn't think about what I'd do without him. Life without my best friend wasn't an option.

"We'll let two go in at a time... you can all take turns speaking to him—"

"Can coma patients hear you?"

"That depends on who you ask.... would two of you like to follow me?"

Jen stood up and grabbed Colin's hand, "we will"

They followed the doctor down the hall and rounded a corner. Great, it was just me and Ryan again.

"I'm so sorry about what happened Savannah..."

I didn't speak... I had nothing to say to him. I didn't know what to say to him... I hadn't really expected him to be sorry for anything in his life.

"I feel terrible about all of it," he said, resting his head in his hands and looking down at the ground.

"Ryan—"

"I could've helped him... I could've—"

"You could've what? Jumped in front of the bullet you didn't know was coming?"

This whole time I hadn't noticed Ryan was concealing his emotions towards Reece's accident... I just thought he was heartless...

"I don't know Savannah, I should've done something! Reece has so much to live for... just imagine how his parents are gonna feel... If that was my kid—"

"There was nothing you could do," I said, putting my hand on his shoulder, "don't beat yourself up about it... it's not your fault"