Chapter 97: Do You Want Me?

POV: Ryan

"Courtney! I'm back from—"

She stepped into the hallway with nothing on but a towel. My body tensed up, and sentences suddenly became hard to form. The only thing on my mind was Savannah, and knowing that Courtney was naked underneath that towel wasn't helping. I forced myself to focus elsewhere.

"I uh— I bought you a dress," I insisted, holding it out for her.

"Thanks," she said cheerfully, walking towards me and grabbing the dress from my hand.

I remained standing with my eyes fixated on the floor, and walked past her into the living room area, where I sat on the couch and tried to keep myself calm, but certain areas of my body refused to cooperate.

"Are you ok?"

"What? Yeah, of course! Why wouldn't I be?"

There were obvious signs of nervousness in my voice.

"You sound a little on edge," she insisted, sitting down beside me.

I shifted over some in the opposite direction of her and she looked at me with confusion.

"Go put some clothes on..."

"Excuse me?" She retorted, "I'm sorry, am I bothering you?"

"Please Courtney—"

"Ok Ryan, sorry I'm so disgusting," She claimed.

I sighed and glanced at her from the corner of my eye as she angrily walked away.

"Why are you being so damn sensitive—"

"It's okay Ryan! I'm going!" She

I rolled my eyes and followed behind her.

"That's not at all what I meant," I insisted, standing in the doorway, "You're beautiful, but I just can't look at you right now—"

"Yeah, that makes sense," she said sarcastically, walking over to shut the door, "Now will you please get out so that I can put some clothes on and be attractive to you again?"

"Courtney I love you... I really do, but my last relationship meant a whole lot to me. I can't look at you because if I do..." I trailed off and looked into her eyes, "She was the only one I've actually ever had meaningful sex with, and I thought we were good together, but that ended terribly, so I just can't look at you right now—"

"Why not? I'm not understanding what that has to do with me—"

"Because I'm afraid that I'll mess up what we have Courtney!"

"Sex won't mess anything up except the sheets!" She said defensively.

I smiled and reached out for her hand.

"I never thought I'd say this, but I'm just not ready yet... I don't want to rush things between us... If I learned anything from my last relationship it was that if things are going to be serious, don't involve your brother, and don't take things too fast—"