Chapter 19: Family Reunion

POV: Savannah

————— December 25 —————

Reece and I didn't do much on Christmas Eve, or the days leading up to it. After the house party, we started prepping for our family members who were coming over. I made out a list of what we needed from the store so that Reece could go get the ingredients to get started in that.

  We also had to go buy a bigger table to put in the dining room because the one we had wasn't going to fit over 10 guests. Reece questioned why we needed a table that seated over 10 guests anyway and I told him it was mainly because I invited Colin.... and some other people. He didn't question me, even though he wanted to, and we ended up getting a table big enough to seat 12 guests.

Today, all we had to do was finish preparing some of the dishes and desserts. It didn't sound like a lot, but we ended up procrastinating for too long and rushing it all around 4:00.

"Savannah, how much should I put in the oven at one time?"

"However much will fit and be able to cook, Reece."

"Ok, can you set the table for me? I was thinking, we got this nice wine the other day, why not set a glass out at each of the spots."

"Sounds cool, how long does everything have to cook?"

"Like, 40 minutes—"

"Reece we don't have 40 minutes, we have 30 at most!"

"Listen! It's okay! Everyone isn't going to get here on the dot! We will still have time while waiting for everyone to get here."

I didn't have time to bicker with him anymore, I had to go pour the wine, set the table, and get the chairs in place.

After I finished that, I tried to help Reece clean up the pans and messy stains he made in the kitchen. We had just moved in and he place was already a wreck... It wasn't long into that when our doorbell rang, It was 5:03, I opened the door to see Reece's dad, sister, and my mom.

"Hey you guys!" I said, holding out my arms for hugs, "Reece is in the kitchen."

Reece came to the door as his dad, sister, and my mom began walking inside. I was just about to close the door until I saw Jen getting out of a car with her mom and dad.

"Reece," I said, motioning my head towards the car outside.

"Oh, cool thanks, perfect timing!" He said, "dad, Riley, Mrs. Newman, there are some people I'd like you to meet when they get inside."

Reece guided our family guests into the living room area, and I greeted Jen and her family as they came to the door.

"Hey Jen, glad to see everyone could make it today! Reece and his family are in the living room if you wanna go, the food isn't quite ready yet."

"Thank you Savannah," she said, showing her family into the house.

Another car pulled up as they began walking inside. It was Colin, and to think... we thought we would have time before everyone came. It was only 5:10 and almost everyone was already here. I waited by the door for Colin, invited him inside, and led him to the living room where everyone else had already migrated.