Chapter 40: Speak Of The Devil

POV: Savannah

I awoke the next morning, startled by my phone alarm, and apparently ended up waking everyone else too. It was six thirty in the morning, Reece and I had classes to get to. We hopped up, threw on clothes, and doused ourselves in various scents. Classes started in half an hour. We didn't have time to shower away the smell of throw up and liquor from the night before. I kissed half asleep Colin on the cheek and ran out the door to get in the car with Reece.

"You think we're gonna make it?" I asked, looking over at the clock on the dashboard.

"Nope," he replied, shifting gears and backing out of the driveway.

We arrived at school with two minutes to spare, but Reece still had to park the car, and we still had to voyage across campus. We pulled into the parking lot like we were racers on The Fast and the Furious, and jumping out of the car as fast as we could, making a sprint to our first class. This was not a good way to start the day. We darted into the building and down the halls with one minute to spare.

It wouldn't have been all that serious if our first class wasn't taught by the teacher from hell. He was the meanest guy around and everyone knew it. If you were late to his class once, you'd be kicked out, simple as that. We were a few seconds away, and I could see the door to the class down the hall, when all of a sudden the bell rang.

We were officially late...

Reece and I stopped running and exchanged glances of dismay. We knew exactly what was coming... expulsion, maybe a write up, and a stern talking to after class. We made the walk of shame in through the door, ready to face the confrontation, but when we got inside, there was no sign of the teacher anywhere.

"You guys got so lucky," said some random kid in the class, "Mr. Wheathersby hasn't been in yet! Looks like he's running late today, for the first time in his life."

"Something isn't right," I whispered to Reece

"I know, but let's just be thankful... I can't afford to get kicked out of another class—"

I stopped and spun him around as we began walking to our seats, "another?!"

He laughed and we surveyed the room, found two seats up front, and pulled out our laptops like we had been there the whole time. Just as we were beginning to get comfortable, the principal walked in.

"Excuse me, can I have everyone's attention please?"

The room silenced and everyone fixated on what he had to say.

"Mr. Wheathersby has been transferred to another school—"

He was cut off by sounds of high fives and the whooping of some of the more immature people in our class... Reece being one of them...

"Anyway... I'm sure you're all devastated, and don't know how to go on with your academic lives. You'd probably all love to have a free day today..."

Faces lit up around the classroom.

"Well, you can't!"

You could hear the crushing sound of people's dreams hitting the floor around us.

"We have a replacement here for today, he's a long term substitute, until we can find another teacher, but he's just as good as Mr. Wheathersby! I'm sure you'll all enjoy him just as much!"