Chapter 39: Since You've Been Gone

POV: Jennifer

I ran down the hall to get the doctors.

"He's waking up! Someone please, come see if he's ok!"

Doctors and nurses began rushing past me into Reece's room. He wasn't supposed to wake up until later that week, if he was even going to wake up at all. Everything seemed too good to be true.

I sat in the waiting room while the doctors checked him out and decided to call Savannah. It took about about ten minutes for the doctors to come back and tell me the news.

"Is he ok?"

"Mrs. Morrison, he isn't ok..." the doctor smiled, "he's fantastic! It was miraculous he made it through the procedure alive, and now with his rapid recovery... it's just amazing!"

I couldn't help but get up and hug the doctor.

"Thank you for everything," I said, burying my head in his shoulder, "can I go see him?"

"Of course you can... he's awake and responsive"

I thanked the doctor again and walked down the hall into his room. He was sitting upright in the bed with his head in his hands.

"Reece?"

He looked up quickly and tried to get out of bed, "Jennifer!"

"Wait, I'll come to you," I suggested. I didn't want him pulling out any of the attachments on or inside his body.

"What'd I miss?"

"What's the last thing you remember?" I asked, placing my hand gently on his face.

"I remember collapsing and thinking that I would be ok if I died in your arms..."

I couldn't fight the tears any longer, "but I wouldn't have been..."

He pulled me in for a hug, and I heard the door open.

"Savannah, Colin, hey!"

"Reece!!!"

"Oh thank god! Reece I thought something was wrong, how are you awake?!"

"I dont know I just... woke up"

Reece let go of me to hug Savannah and Colin.

"SO! You guys have to tell me, how much did I miss? Are you and Colin together? Where's Ryan? Have you started planning the wedding without me?!"

We all exchanged joyful looks and laughed.

"I wasn't going to plan our wedding without you," I explained, "how could I? I barely had the will power wake up the next morning..."

He smiled at me and squeezed my hand as tears formed in his eyes, "that's exactly why I love you Jennifer"

We shared a moment and Savannah decided to speak up, "mom and dad are dating now..."

"It's about time!" He said, making everyone smile, " they've always been perfect for each other"

It was amazing to see him chatting again. He'd just made an early recovery that even the doctors couldn't believe, and he was acting like nothing had changed. It immediately felt like I had him back again.