Chapter 58: Brother V. Brother

POV: Savannah

I finished everything upstairs and traveled down  into the kitchen. Breakfast was obviously cold now, but I hadn't planned on taking so long in the shower.

There was no sign of Colin and I hadn't seen him when I was upstairs. Suspicious, I peered through the kitchen window and only saw one car in the driveway, meaning he was out somewhere driving drunk and broken hearted on Valentine's Day.

I tried to remain calm and focus on the more important things such as Reece's wedding. Colin and I could not ruin his for him, but I had a feeling that we would.

Even if we managed to keep everything under wraps, something was bound to come up between us. I tried to clear my mind and picked up a chocolate covered fruit bowl that was laying on he counter.

He made chocolate covered fruit for me...

Staring at the cold, heart shaped, pancakes on the counter, and eating the chocolate covered fruit only made it worse. I picked up one last strawberry and put the rest in the fridge.

The wedding still wasn't for another 10 hours or so, and I needed to find a way to pass the time. I picked up my phone and dialed a number.

"Sup—"

"Hey Ryan, wanna hang out for the day? You know, you, me, Ella, and Grace? Just until the wedding—"

"YEAH! Of course! I'll bring them over as soon as they can get ready!"

"Ok great! I was thinking maybe we could go to a carnival or something..."

"I'm sure they'd love that," he laughed, "see you soon!"

POV: Ryan

I got off the phone with Savannah and went into one of the bedrooms to wake Ella and Grace.

"Hey girls, how would you feel about spending the day with Savannah?"

Grace and Ella sat up in bed.

"If you want to go, get your clothes on as fast as you can... first one done gets extra candy at the fair!"

I had never seen them get out of bed so fast in my life. Candy did marvelous things for children... Grace got stuck in her shirt and I went over to help her when all of a sudden I was distracted by a knock on the door.

"Hold on Grace!" I ran downstairs and opened the door.

"Colin... Hey, what are you—"

I was cut off by Colin's fist as it slammed into the side of my face.

"What the F—"

"EVERYTHING IS YOUR FAULT," he slurred violently.

I could tell he was drunk right as he began speaking.

"DADDY HELP ME!"

I turned around to see Grace stumbling down the stairs, still stuck in her shirt.

"Colin come sit down... I don't have time for this right now!"

Colin walked inside and closed the door behind him. I'm pretty sure he closed it by accident in an effort to keep his balance by hanging on. I ran back up the stairs and scooped Grace into my arms, helping her to pull her shirt over her head.

"I win!" Ella exclaimed, walking out of her room and sticking her tongue out.

"Keep your tongue in your mouth Ella, that's rude and unladylike"

She frowned at me and I carried Grace back down the stairs, setting her on the floor when we reached the bottom. Ella raced by us and jumped onto Colin's arms to give him a hug.

"Colin... can we talk in the kitchen?" I gestured, nodding him to the doorway.

He stood up and held onto the arm of the couch, trying to catch his balance. Slowly, he stumbled into the kitchen and I ordered Ella and Grace to watch cartoons while I had a chat with Uncle Colin.

"What are you doing here?" I whispered angrily, "WHY DID YOU PUNCH ME IN THE FACE?! Was it just something long overdue, or —"

"She's in love with you—"

"Oh my god," I said, throwing my hands over my face, "please tell me this isn't about Savannah!"

"Who else would I be talking about? We're you and Helen doing something behind my back when we were married?! I wouldn't be surprised if—"

"SHUT UP!" I shouted, "Do you not realize how much she is tearing us apart!? Colin, you're my brother and I will always love you, but I can't keep dealing with this... Why don't we just stop treating her like a play toy and let her decide who she wants to be with—"

"She'll pick you—"

"That's funny because in my mind, she loves you more. Always has, always will, and I've given up... Hell, she might not want either one of us— she might want Reece for all we know!... I'm trying to make things work with Melany so whatever you've done to fuck things up with Savannah— that's not my fault. You wanna bitch to somebody? Fine! I'm all ears, but I'll be damned if you're gonna come In my house and start squaring me up like I'm the reason Savannah doesn't want to be with your sorry ass right now..."

Colin was listening intently to my words and I could tell he didn't know how to respond.

"I dont know what happened to you... but you need to get over it. It's like all of a sudden, I got better, and you got worse. Savannah is just looking for someone to fill the hole that you left in her heart, and she'll never be happy until you're the one she's with," I paused and let my speech sink in for a minute before continuing, "This isn't a competition Colin now stay here and sober up. There's no way you're driving back home..."

I walked out of the kitchen, feeling the need to drop a mic as I exited. This was a competition. Everything I just told Colin was true except for that part. I obviously wasn't going to give up on Savannah that easily, and my plan seemed to be falling into place fantastically. Colin and Melany would have the house to themselves on Valentine's Day, and I would be out spending time Savannah and my children, building a life, making memories, and hoping Colin would screw himself even more than he already apparently had.

Melany was starting to grow on me but I wouldn't call it love. I couldn't care less what she ended up doing with Colin. The one thing in my mind was having a future with Savannah. Every day I had to live with the question of what would've happened if we had a baby together. This was my chance to make her realize we could have a life together, and I was going to do everything in my power to make that happen.

"Ella! Grace! Let's go girls! Say bye to uncle Colin"