Chapter 37: Giving Up On You

POV: Savannah

"Oh, wow..." he was taken aback by my announcement, "Savannah, congratulations"

"I thought it was Colin's, but now I'm not so sure..."

"Hey, I'm sure it is. Don't worry to much about it," he said, forcing a smile.

"Yeah, but if I end up with a baby that comes out looking like you—"

"It won't..."

Ryan was strangely calm about the whole situation. I turned my head to see Colin and Jen coming down the hall, and I hopped up to meet them.

"How'd it go?" I asked, wrapping my arms tightly around Colin.

"He was just... there," Jen explained, fighting back the tears, "it was like he could hear us, but he couldn't do or say anything back... it was absolutely awful"

I let go of Colin and Ryan walked over to me, grabbing my hand as we began walking towards the hall together.

"Hey, when were you leaving now?" Colin asked with a concerned expression on his face.

"We booked the flight for later today, around noon"

"Oh... Savannah, Jen, why don't you both come over and spend time with us before Ryan has to go?"

"Sure," I agreed

"I'd love to, but I just can't right now," Jen explained, "I have to go meet my parents..."

"That's ok Jen, deal with this however you need..."

Jen smiled at Colin whe Ryan and I walked down the hall, rounding the corner, and walking into the room to see Reece.

Jen was right. It was weird to see his body lying there on the bed, feeling like he was there, but also like he wasn't at the same time. It was just strange... I didn't care whether Ryan thought I was crazy or not, I needed to talk to my best friend.

"Hey Reece... you gotta get better," I said, grabbing onto his limp hand which was lying on the bed. My eyes began emitting water uncontrollably.

"I hope you can hear me... There's so much you have to do! College starts again soon, and you have to marry Jen... she really misses you Reece. I don't know what either of us would do without you..."

I heard Ryan sniffle behind me... this was the most painful thing I'd gone through in a long time...

"Guess what? Mom texted me and said she was dating your dad... wouldn't it be awesome if we were legally related? Even if they don't last... you'll always be a brother to me Reece... I love you so much," my voice began to crack as I tried fighting back the tears flooding from my eyes. Ryan hugged me from behind and kissed my cheek, comforting us both in our time of need.

"I told them not to worry about flying back because I promised you were going to be ok... don't let me break that promise Reece, we can't lose you... the guy that shot you, he can't hurt you anymore. They have him in custody and his court hearing is soon... I promise, no matter what it takes, no matter how much money I have to spend, no matter who I have to bribe... I will make sure he gets the death penalty, if it's the last thing I do..."