Chapter 34: New Year, New Plot Twists

POV: Reece

We made it to the rollercoaster and found a place in line.

"Where'd Colin go?" Con asked

"He probably went back with Savannah... in gonna go find him—"

"Oh no you're not," I said, stopping Ryan in his tracks, "you're just gonna spend time here with us... leave them be..."

Ryan jerked free of my grip and looked at me grimly. When we got to the front of the line, and were shown to our seats, Jen pointed at the countdown timer in the distance. We had two minutes until midnight. Good, that gave us enough time to get on the ride and get off.

Once everyone was aboard, the ride manager pushed a button, releasing the roller coaster at a slow speed, building the tension as we rose up a steep hill. Jen moved her hand and placed it in my grasp. We exchanged looks of excitement and my stomach dropped as the ride plummeted full speed, down the steep and never ending hill of death.

The ride seemed to last forever, but when It was finally over, and I felt safe enough to open my eyes, I realized it only lasted a minute or so. The timer was on one minute and ten seconds, but counting down quickly. I unstrapped myself from the roller coaster and I could see a prize area in the distance.

"Hey, let's go win some stuff before New Years!" I suggested, "you know, so we don't miss the big moment"

Everyone agreed and I got a head start... I had my eye on something I wanted in a gift shop next to one of the mini games. I didn't have time to actually win the prize I needed...

When I came out of the gift shop, I stuffed the item In my pocket, and saw everyone else finally making their way to me.

30 seconds till midnight

"Am I gonna be the only one without anyone to kiss at midnight?"

"Awe, Ryan!" Jen said sympathetically, kissing him on the cheek, "there... savor it"

"Thanks," he laughed

While everyone else began playing games, I was sweating. New Year's Eve always made me nervous. The fireworks, the pressure to kiss someone... I just didn't like it.

10 seconds until midnight

I walked over to Jen and pulled her close, "do you love me?"

"What? Yes– of course"

"Are you sure? You don't have any feelings for anyone else?" My heart was racing and I knew it was causing my speech to speed up.

"Yeah, Reece is there something wrong?"

Three seconds until midnight

"Look, I know it isn't much, but Jennifer Marie Morrison," I got down on one knee and pulled out the plastic ring I had just gotten from the gift shop moments ago, "will you marry me?"

We locked eyes and I watched a tear travel down the side of her cheek. I heard cheering and popping of firecrackers, causing me to wince, until all noise around me muffled and turned into a faint ringing in the distance. I watched as she covered her mouth and nodded her head yes. Everyone was gathered around us, clapping, as I slipped the ring onto her finger.

I went to stand up, feeling unstable as I put all pressure on one leg. I looked over at what used to be the countdown timer, to see Jen and I, broadcasted across the park.

Sounds became more faint, fading away into the distance, and all I could hear was my heartbeat, growing significantly louder, but slowing down by the second. Everything felt like it was in slow motion. Jen walked towards me, with tears in her eyes. I reached out to her, and just as she grabbed me, my body weight collapsed...

Through the sounds of my pounding heart, I could hear her voice, but I couldn't tell what she was saying.

Colors collided and my world looked like the canvas of a kindergarten art class. I fixed my gaze up to the stars, and made out Jen's face, which was once filled with tears of joy, but now with tears of confusion. I reached up for her with all of the effort I had left. Everything felt cold, except for one part of body. Warmth was expanding around me, but it felt more like it was escaping my body, than heating me up. The cold plastic of the ring touching my face was the last thing I felt before my world faded to black...

POV: Savannah

"That's not enough time," he stated, "a couple of hours today, maybe a couple hours tomorrow... That's just not enough for me..."

"Colin are you ok?"

"No... Savannah, the first time I met you, an hour was enough time, a week was too long, a month felt like forever," he began, speaking into the distance again, as our cab slowly made its way back around the Ferris wheel. I heard chanting from below, but couldn't make out what they were saying.

"You told Ryan that it was just sex for you, and I hope to God you don't think the same thing about me, because I don't think I could take that," he whimpered in a shaky voice.

"Colin, why are you saying this? What could we really ever be? Your parents hate me..."

"My mom is blinded by her faith"

"I'm not going to tell you to go against your mother or your religion Colin—"

"I don't care about my bloody religion! Not if it means I lose the one thing I care about... You're my everything," He claimed, pulling me closer, and fighting back the tears, "I don't care what she, or anyone else, thinks of us..."

A tear rolled down my cheek as I began to realize what exactly Colin meant to me, and exactly what I meant to him. There was a small window of silence before he spoke again in that same shaky voice, indicating he was on the verge of crying.

"Now, an hour, a week, a month, a year... Nothing is enough. Even if I had every second of that day, or that week, or even that month..." He trailed off as the cab neared back to the top.

I finally knew what they were chanting below. They were counting down...

Twenty seconds until midnight

"No matter how much time we spend together, I will never be able to get over how much I love you," He said with water now pooling in his eyes, ready to flow out at any second.

I couldn't find words to say that matched the elegance of his. My heart fluttered as the ride edged closer and closer to the top. I was overflowing with emotions. My eyes switched between the countdown timer, and Colin's angelic gaze.

5 seconds left

"You deserve the world, and I know I may not be able to give that to you, but you can have mine... I promise, all I want to do is spend the rest of my life with you, you are everything to me and I—"

I pressed my lips firmly against his. At that moment I didn't care how high up we were, or how much his mom hated me, all I knew was that I loved him. For the first time I actually knew... I wanted to spend the rest of my life with Colin O'Donoghue.

I pulled away slowly, "Colin..."

"Yes..." He said, biting his lip and resting his head against mine. His breaths were so delicate and his lips were a vibrant pink.

"What's wrong love?" He questioned, brushing my hair back from my face.

"I think I'm pregnant..."