Chapter 52: Transfer

POV: Ryan

"So over in certain places when you smoke marajuana, its legal, but in other places—"

"It's only illegal if you get caught!"

"That's exactly right—"

A knock on the door cut me off from my conversation.

"Alright everyone! I need to do some work on my computer so I'm gonna pass out this worksheet. If you finish it now it isn't homework, so take out your books and turn to page six fifty.

The entire class let out a groan.

"OR I can just go ahead and put in a zero for everyone?"

The class silenced and all you could hear was the flipping of pages.

"That's what I thought..."

I gave the worksheets to Hannah for her to pass out, and went to answer the door. Savannah handed over her pass with a scowl on her face, as she brushed quickly by me to her seat.

I felt bad for making her go all the way to the front office, but I needed to enforce some rules in the classroom. I walked over to my desk to call roll.

"... Reece, Emma, Wesley, Jennifer, Hannah," I looked up from my computer and smiled, "Savannah, wassup! Can you come to my desk please?"

She got out of her chair and walked towards me with her head down.

"Listen," I whispered, "I'm sorry I made you go get a slip, but—"

"It's fine Ryan..."

She forced a smile and turned around to walk back to her seat.

"Ms. Newman, meet me in the hallway," I announced.

I needed to talk to her, but what I had to say was no one else's business, and I knew she wouldn't listen to me here. I walked outside and she followed behind.

"What could you possibly need Ryan? You keep making people stare!"

"I'm sorry!"

"You've said that!"

"Ok!" I said defensively, my voice raised a few octaves, "chill out!"

She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms.

"Look, I know what you're going through, but I have to enforce rules or else I'm gonna get fired—"

"Good, maybe you and Melony can move away and rebuild your family!"

"You don't mean that," I said, looking into her eyes.

"At the moment I do..."

I walked closer to her and put my hand on her shoulder.

"So if I left and got another job... Would you really be ok with that? Think about it..."

She uncrossed her arms and let out a sigh.

"No, but I mean you're really stressing me out today... I had a rough weekend and it's Monday—"

I steadily got closer to her and moved my hand down the side of her arm.

"I know babe"

"You lost the right to call me that..."

She swatted my hand away, and I leaned in closer.

"I will always want you," I whispered, speaking softly into her ear, "every day and every night, love filled or hate filled, I'll always be thinking of you..."

"Ryan, the cameras—"

"Let them see... I won't be teaching here much longer anyway—"

"What?!" She exclaimed, pushing me away and breaking all tension that was building between us.

"Isn't that what you wanted?!"

"NO! I just say those types of things when you make me mad!"

"Oh, so every day?

"Ryan I need you—"

I smirked and gestured down the hall, "I mean I'm sure no one is in the teacher workroom right now if you wanna—"

"That's NOT what I meant... You're always here for me when I was sad... What am I gonna do without you? Why are you leaving?"

I gripped her waist and pressed her body against mine, bringing back memories from the night before.

"You're gonna make up with Reece, and you're gonna go back to being his best friend. You're both depressed without each other, and I told you, the only reason I took the job here was because the system transferred me. It wasn't my choice then and it's not my choice now... It's either teach where they need me, or stop getting a paycheck—"

"Ryan you can't go"

"I'll only be working like two hours away... I promise I'll still be here for you. Nothing that—"

She wrapped her arms around me and the sentence I was forming completely vanished from my mind. I squeezed her tight and kissed her forehead.

"I'll miss you"

"I'll miss you too," she claimed, letting go of me, "are you still coming to the wedding with me?

"Yeah, of course"

"Ok well, we have to go get our outfits later—"

"Awesome! Where at? I'll meet you there!"

"I was thinking maybe Tiffany's Bridal, but—"

"That sounds cool, I —"

"RYAN! Stop for a second!"

"What?"

"Colin is coming too—"

"WHY?!"

She was taken aback by my outburst. I folded my arms over my chest and leaned on the wall.

"I mean— why is he coming?"

"I dont know, he asked to come earlier... I guess he doesn't have his suit yet either"

"Oh..."

I flashed a weak smile and opened the door for her to go back inside.