Chapter 69: Déjà Vu

POV: Savannah

Just as I was about to respond, the football players came back, this time pulling up chairs.

"Ooo," one of them said tauntingly, looking over at me, and back to Ryan, "I guess that's why you're glad to leave huh? Now you can tap that!"

My smile dropped.

"Been there, done that," he said solemnly, smirking over his shoulder.

They all laughed and I flushed with embarrassment. I figured Ryan would stick up for me, but instead he did the complete opposite. He turned his head in the midst of a high-five to see that I hadn't found the joke funny.

"What? You're a babe, how could I not brag?!"

I glared over at him and shook my head.

"Ryan—"

"Wait, you were serious?!" One of the guys bursted out, cutting off my sentence.

Their facial expressions switched in an instant. It was always hard to tell if Ryan was speaking the truth or not, so it wasn't a surprise to me that they thought it was a joke. I put my head down on the desk and waited for the conversation to be over.

"I'm sorry Savannah," he frowned, ignoring the football players, and placing his arm around my shoulders.

I raised my head and refused to respond with all of the jocks still clustered nearby. Everyone was trying to get Ryan's attention, but all he cared about was me.

He stared into my eyes and spoke again, "I really am sorry if that hurt your feelings—"

"I know Ryan," I claimed, "You don't have to apologize—"

"I do– because I love you..."

His words came out faster than he had time to think about what he was saying. All the students in our general vicinity around were now tuned in on our conversation, wondering if their ears had deceived them.

An awkward silence flooded the room, growing more intense, as his face slowly went from pale to deep red. I almost wondered how he was going to get out of this one, when all of a sudden a voice came through the intercom above.

"ATTENTION ALL STUDENTS WHO HAVE MR. O'DONOGHUE FOR ANY PERIOD OF THE DAY. REPORT TO THE BASKETBALL COURT GYM AT THE SOUND OF THE BELL..."

Everyone looked around with puzzled expressions on their faces as the voice in the ceiling continued speaking.

"MR. O'DONOGHUE, PLEASE JOIN US IN ABOUT HALF AN HOUR!"

All attention was drawn away from us as the intercom cut off and the bell rang. They began their mass exodus from the classroom. I got up to follow the crowd, but before I could get far, Ryan grabbed my arm.

"Wait and leave with me... Please"

I was hesitant at first, but after my eyes locked onto his, It just didn't feel right leaving him. He stood up, walked to the front of the room, and shut the door. I followed him and took a seat in the front row of desks.