Chapter 50: Go Back to Her

POV: Savannah

Ryan's lips let go of mine but I couldn't help longing for more. He rolled off of me and looked up to the ceiling, trying to catch his breath.

"Ryan," I said abruptly, pulling him out of his distant gaze, "do you wanna be my date to Jen and Reece's wedding?"

"Absolutely! When is it?"

"In about two days..."

"Oh, it's on Valentine's Day?"

"Yeah—"

"That's adorable..."

Ryan looked over to me and we exchanged smiles.

"Savannah..."

"Yeah?"

"I'm so tired of being alone..."

He was about to have another one of those breakdown moments. It used to be cute, but after a while, it was starting to get a little annoying.

"I know Ryan..."

He looked back up at the ceiling and watched as the fan blades spun in circles.

"I'm thinking maybe I should've tried to work things out with Melony..."

My eyes focused intently on him.

"You do realize we just slept together... right?"

"Yeah—"

"You also realize you're—"

"Just think for a second," he suggested abruptly, "you and I aren't the type of people to get married to each other..."

"But you literally told me you loved me—"

"I do," he said, shifting closer to me, "but you didn't say it back..."

My facial expression was wiped away and I came to a realization... I didn't tell him I loved him because I didn't know how I felt about him. He had hurt me and countless other people so many times before that I had completely shut off all emotion of love and trust when I was around him.

"So? Maybe I just—"

"So," he whispered, pressing his body against mine, "I'm a teacher... it's easy for me to read people. As much as I would love to propose to you right now and have you say yes as many times as you did earlier—"

"Get to the point Ryan," I grinned, beginning to feel red hot as all of the blood rushed to my face.

"I know you're not ready for that type of commitment, and you may not be for another three years or so..."

"Why does that matter?"

"It matters because you're younger than me... you have plenty of time to do what you need to do, but I'm a 31 year old man... my window is closing and I'm definitely not getting any younger. I need to settle down with someone, and build a life that I can be proud of. I already have that with Melony... it just needs a little work"