Chapter One

Emilia

Beep. Beep. Beep

11:15 p.m

Snooze

I rolled over and silenced the alarm for good. It felt like I had just went to bed only a few hours ago. Well, six hours ago to be exact.

Finally dragging myself out of the comfort of my own bed, I turned on my music to put a pep in my step. Pandora's Today's Top Hip Hop station always did the job. Following a quick shower, I brushed my teeth and grabbed one of my freshly washed uniforms from the dryer. I treated myself a big bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch before lacing up my boots and heading out the door.

It only took 25 minutes to arrive at my destination. Traffic was an ease at this time of the night.

"Good evening Emilia!"

He always had that same enthusiastic voice that greeted his employees everyday. Even on the night shift.

Captain Travis Michael, or Captain Mike as the rest of us liked to call him. I've known him for years. After serving as his intern for my last year of undergrad, he looked out and hired me as a full time employee.

"Morning Captain Mike!" I returned his enthusiasm.

I maneuvered my way through the facility, saying hello to everyone that I passed by until I found who I was looking for. Owen Tull. My partner. He helped himself to a slice of pizza and a cup of orange juice as he focused his attention on his phone with a silly smirk.

"What chick are you running game on at this hour?"

"Em, what's good?" he chuckled nodding his head as he finished stuffing his face, "why do I always have to be running game?"

"Cause that's what you do," I propped myself up against the counter, "we've been working together for how many years now?"

"Two years too many," he stuck his tongue out, "but it's just shawty. She was tryin to slide through the crib but you know I gotta do my whole save the world thing."

I rolled my eyes when he cockily adjusted the collar of his uniform. Owen was who the guys wanted to be and who the girls wanted to be with. He stood about 6'2 with an athletic build. His bi-racial ethnicity gave him that exotic look. Colombian mother, African-American father. Hailing from the the east coast. An Atlanta, Georgia native. His dirty south swag gave him an edge. The curly black hair, perfect smile, full lips and hazel eyes further aided him in the women department.

The two of us were the youngest EMT's at Station 68 of the L.A County Fire Department. I guess that's why they paired us together, but how well we worked as a unit went unmatched. The strongest team in the squad and the first ones on the Captain's list to call on whenever he needed something done. We were each other's first and only partner. Two years under our belt. Being around each other so much allowed us to develop a strong friendship. Best friends didn't do it enough justice. He was like family.

"Let's go check the rig so I can try to get some more sleep before the first call comes in," I said, leading the way to the room that held all of the stations ambulance trucks.

"You should have came out with me the other night, Em. West Hollywood was jumpin'," he danced around, "I had all the bad bitties."

Owen loved to party. Whenever we weren't working, he was somewhere turning up. He knew the who's who's in Los Angeles as far as the party scene. Promotors, club owners, you name it and he had the connections.

Tonight wouldn't be one of those nights for him. We were working our 12:00 a.m-12:00 p.m night shift. It was long and sometimes strenuous depending on the amount of calls we received. Typically a weekend night like this had high volumes.