Chapter One Hundred and Forty

Three Weeks Later

Aubrey

As soon as we returned back to Toronto, I dove right back into work. We had about five days there before flying back to California for Max's game, the baby's doctor's appointment and Em's therapy session. It was a great weekend. Max and his team won their second state championship. It was amazing to watch and be a part of that moment. I had the entire family and a few of his friends over my house to celebrate afterwards. The baby was doing well. She was as big as an eggplant now. The sonogram photos showed her growth. I'd take pictures of them to have them in my phone. Sending them to mom, Uncle Steve, and my boys. Everyday I get more and more excited about her being here. Slowly but surely we were approaching the homestretch; the third trimester.

Em's body was changing. She was experiencing more swelling of her ankles and feet and redness on the soles and palm of her hands. The linea nigra was now visible running from her bellybutton to her pubic area. The doctor said it was a common emblem of pregnancy; slightly darker than her complexion. I loved all the changes. She was embracing them as well.

Her therapy was going well from what I observed. So far she's done six FaceTime/Skype calls with Dr.Wesleyan and one face to face session. Sometimes she wanted to do them alone, other times she wanted me there for support. She didn't tell me what they talked about when I wasn't present. Although I was curious I didn't press her about it. I could see changes. Although her sleeping pattern was still a little off, when she did go to sleep she slept longer. Her night terrors were still there. But it had only occurred twice in the three weeks since our initial visit. When she woke up from them she was a little more calm and under control; still somewhat frightened but not as frantic. I did my best to do my part. Massaging her feet, rubbing her belly and lower back with tummy butter, cuddling, anything to wind her down for the night before I went to work. As much as I wanted to be there throughout the night, I had to keep grinding. This album had to live up to its potential. I had goals. I couldn't fail. I feed my family with this.

Tonight wasn't any different. I had producers Maneesh, Frank Dukes and Sevn Thomas coming in at different times along with 40, hoping to finish up three to four songs. That most likely meant that I'd be working until the early morning.

Em had cooked dinner. The condo was smelling good as fuck. Baked ziti, garden salad and Texas toast. We ate at the dining table. I was only sitting for five minutes before I had to go back and get a second serving. My baby could throw down. I'll have no problem keeping this muscle on if she keeps feeding The Boy like this. I had thoughts of Maddie being at the table in her high chair. Us taking turns between feeding her and then ourselves. I wish she'd come already. I'm ready for her. I'm ready to be a dad. I'm ready to see Em be a mom.

I helped clean the kitchen once we were good and full, wondering why there was so much left over when it was just us, but understood when she started boxing portion up in togo boxes for me to take to the studio.

"Now, I put one box for you and one box for Noah. There's two more for Chubby and Spoons. Be nice and share, baby. I know how you are sometimes," she said, writing each person's name on a box, "don't worry, I put extra in yours and there will be some left when you get home."

Could she be any more perfect? A nigga gets hungry as fuck when I'm working for four to five hours at a time. I'd much rather have her food than getting takeout.

"Thank you," I kissed her temple, "I know they'll appreciate this shit."

Once the kitchen was cleaned, she showered. I joined her to help her with washing her legs and feet. It was a little tougher for her to do it on her own with being pregnant. Of course, I had gotten a little pleasure out of it too. She was in the mood, so she was with it.