Chapter Six

Emilia

Saturday

The rest of the week went by rather quickly. Jhaleel continued his calls, texts and came by unannounced to discover that his key no longer worked. He would stay outside my
door until I threatened to call the police. That sent him back campus quickly.

This morning I had woken up to find him sleeping on my doorstep, curled up in the fetal position in a tank-top, shorts and sneakers. I don't know how long he had been there. Probably soon after I had hung up on his midnight phone call.

"Jay! Jay!" I called his name.

His snoring continued. I went inside and filled a pot with cold water and poured it on his face. That woke him up.

"What the fuck?!" he jumped up in shock of the cold liquid hitting his skin.

"How long have you been out here?"

"I don't know. I don't even remember falling asleep," he wiped his face with the little remaining dry areas of his shirt, "can I come in please? I just want to talk to you."

"You have five minutes then you have to go," I stepped to the side to give him access.

Closing the door behind him, I kept my distance. He kept trying to make eye contact, but I looked the other way. He slowly inched his way up to me. With each step I backed away until a wall stopped me. He brought his hand up to my face. My heartbeat sped up, not knowing what to expect.

"I'm so sorry, Em," he brushed his fingers along the small bruise that had develop just above my cheek bone by the corner of my eye.

I quickly moved away from his touch, "don't touch me," I hissed.

"I didn't mean it. I'd never hurt you. I was drunk...I had too much that night. I was out with the guys drinking and got carried away. All the pressure from the draft, finishing school was weighing heavy on my mind and my uncle ain't doing well. That's the only family I have baby. It's no excuse for what I did, my mind is just fucked up right now. Alcohol made it worse. I shouldn't have taken it that far."

"I hear you, Jay but I-"

His voice lowered, "Look, you had every right to change the locks and not speak to me. I get it. I don't want to be like my dad, Em. I don't. Just give me a chance to make it up to you."

He doesn't want to be like is father? Hmph. Even though he was only thirteen when he passed, he saw a lot. His father was an alcoholic who would beat his mom. Jhaleel could even recall the night she had him arrested and when he had to wipe the blood from his mother's face.

"I've lost my parents, my uncle isn't well...I can't lose you too."

His eyes welled up with tears. The only time I had seen him cry was when they lost in the Final Four this season or when he'd talk about sensitive parts of his childhood.

"I love you Emilia Aileen."

Then he kissed me. I was hesitant to return. He sensed that and wrapped his arms around me. I felt my body giving in to his touch, finding sincerity and remorse in his words.

He pulled away. A faint smile on his lips. Running his fingers through my hair, he pressed his lips against my forehead, "I can show you how much I love you. Just give me a chance."

Our lips connected once again. This time with more passion and sensuality. His body pressed against mine. My back against the wall as he trailed his kisses down my neck. He lifted my legs to hook around his waist. His arms stretched high as I pulled off his shirt. My hands traveled down his chiseled abdomen. It was something about his toned muscles and chocolate skin that made me weak. He pulled the spaghetti straps of my tank top down to expose my breast, hands caressing each mound equally. My legs tightened around him when I felt him walking. He was careful not to break our lip lock as he laid me down on the couch. Moans fell from my lips as he kissed down my chest, sucking and nibbling on each nipple equally.