Chapter Ninety-Eight

Emilia

I quickly picked up Elena's phone to see what was going on. By the look on her face, it had to be something major.

"Hey Michelle. It's Em. What's going on?" I held the phone to my ear, impatiently waiting for a response.

"I didn't mean to upset Elena. I just wanted to keep her in the loop of what was going on," she began, "basically, Paul had an unsuccessful suicide attempt today. He had made a big scene screaming Elena's name when he was taken into suicide watch. Apparently he had etched her name on the wall in his cell."

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah. The ADA visited him not too long ago and she thinks it's all a method to getting the judge to go for an insanity plea," she said, "his defense team are pretty good at manipulating situations in such a manner in favor of their clientele. I mean, that's their job but we aren't going for it."

"Wow," I shook my head.

"We're looking at trying to move the trial date up. He may actually go through with it if given another chance. You never know; however, we want him to not take the easy way out and let the justice system handle him accordingly," she said, "don't worry. We're going to stay on top of this."

"We appreciate that. Thank you for keeping us in the loop."

"Okay. We'll chat later. Bye, bye."

"Bye."

"This is going to drive me fucking crazy," Elena said after I hung up.

"He should've finished the job so all of this could go away once and for all," I scoffed, "I'm so sick of that scumbag."

"Is it wrong that no matter how much I hate him that I don't want him to kill himself?"

"Lena-"

She combed her fingers through her hair, "there was a point in time when I loved him, Em. He was my husband. Yes, he did horrible things to me but to die now? He needs to face the consequences of his poor choices. What he did to me and my baby. He doesn't get to take the easy way out of this. Live with your decisions and make yourself a better person. At least for his family that's still supporting him."

"He's trying to play the system. He's too full of himself to commit suicide. Like Michelle said, his defense team more than likely put him up to it. Right now, he's looking at life with these murder charges. A plea of not guilty by reason of insanity? That'll be what? 30 years in a psych ward?"

"Paul wasn't insane...he isn't insane. He's never had mental issues."

"At this point, I believe he'll try anything to make this go in his favor."

She rubbed her temples and sighed, "I'm not looking forward to going to trial. Sitting in front of him in a room full of people? Retelling that night..."

"So we're not going to think about it. We're going to finish up with these last few boxes and go home to our wonderful, loving men," I put my arm around her.

"As long there are drinks involved. I need one. Bad."

"Oh, I have to run by the store anyway. CJ texted me earlier asking if I'd fix some hot wings tonight. I can make Sangria's? I just gotta grab some fresh fruit."

"That sounds excellent."

Once the movers finished with the first half of things for the evening, I sent them to deliver to Aubrey's while Lena and I drove out to the nearest grocery store.

Emilia: are they there yet?

Aubrey: just pulled up.

Emili: okay. It's just some clothes and personal stuff