Chapter Sixteen

Emilia

The rest of the week went by pretty smoothly. That Friday evening I passed out as soon as I got home and didn't wake up until noon the next day. It felt good to sleep in in my own bed. I haven't had much rest since coming back from New York. Jhaleel had been crashing at the home of one of his college teammates while he moved out of his dorm and prepared for summer league. I stood my ground when it came to keeping the space between us. He was respecting my wishes. I appreciated that. Max was off to Colorado on Monday. Mom and Dad invited me over for his sendoff dinner this Sunday. I was surprised to hear their enthusiasm and see the support. Some of his friends would be there. Mom asked me to bake a cake. Just because it was for my little brother, I did so. Caramel cake with cream cheese frosting, topped with pecans; his favorite. I wanted to spend some time with him before then, so I picked him up for a beach day Saturday afternoon. Boogie boarding, snow cones, and riding scooters down the Malibu pier. We had so much fun being our silly selves. I love that kid.

Instagram:

a_mili : fun day with my bro before he heads to tryouts! Look out #teamusa the Carrick storm is coming through! @maxmikhail2

That night I chilled out at home. Jhaleel was out with some friends. Owen came over to raid my kitchen, eventually forcing me to fix some pigs in a blanket and lemonade. Once he was good and full, he convinced me to come out to Zanzibar with him out in Santa Monica. On the way there, aWYD text from Aubrey reminded me to ask Owen if he was interested in coming to Aubrey's show in London. I had checked my work schedule a few days ago. I wasn't working the weekend. I knew that when he had first asked me, but I didn't want to make myself seem too available. Owen was all in like I had expected. I called my captain, knowing that he was at the station preparing the shift change. He was cool like always; saying that he would just take us off call for the weekend. He even granted us the day off on Monday since one of the vets in the station returned from a two week vacation and there would be a handful of trainees working towards field experience in the building. The perks of being good at what you do. The boss gives you just about anything you ask for.

Emilia: just got off the phone with my boss. Owen and I are good for the weekend.

Aubrey: Good. The hotel and the flight has already been booked and paid for. Yeah, I jumped the gun a little.

Emilia: you didn't have to do that! I bet that cost so muchL

Emilia: I can pay you back.

Aubrey: Lol its cool. I can handle it. Trust me.

Aubrey: just bring your beautiful self and all will be well.

Zanzibar was live. Owen and I had a great time dancing to the dj's selection of hip-hop music. Aubrey's songs seemed to be a constant. Either it would be his track or his voice would pop up as a feature. It was clear that he was a big deal in the music business. People would turn up even harder than they originally were when he would rap. The dj introduced a new track by Fetty Wap called My Way, mentioning that "Drizzy Drake has a killer verse" on it. I then remember the text he had sent me when I was back in New York asking me to listen to it when it came out. I waited anxiously to hear his voice.

All I got do is put my mind to this shit

Cancel out my ex, I put a line through that bitch

I like all my S's with two lines through them shits

Everybody tryna fuck you but I'm fine with that shit

I never mind, girl that's just you

I know you work hard for your shit