Chapter One Hundred and Thirty-Eight

Aubrey

Emilia stayed up for the rest of the night. I tried my best to fight my sleep, but I'd drift off occasionally. As soon as I realized this, I'd immediately wake up. She was either watching tv, eating, on her phone or on her computer. I had woken up for the fourth time. It was now 5:48 am. She was watching SportsCenter highlights. 

"Em, baby you need to go to sleep," I draped an arm over her waist and pulled her closer to me, "come on."

"I can't, Aubrey," she said, "bad things happen when I go to sleep."

"I understand that, babe but you can't stay awake for the rest of your life either," I said, "I'm right here. If anything happens I'll be right here when you wake up from it. If I hear you, I'll wake you up from it. You need your rest and so does nugget."

"She's asleep Aubrey. The last time she kicked me was around 2:30."

"Okay, but mamma needs to sleep too."

I got her to lie down with me instead of sitting up. Her back to my chest. I held her securely without putting too much pressure on her stomach.

"Can we keep the tv on?" she asked.

"Yeah, just turn the volume down a little."

"Okay."

She turned the volume down so that it was still audible and laid still for a couple of minutes before moving around.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, I just wanna sleep this way instead."

She rolled over so that she was facing me, laying her head on my chest and sandwiching one of her legs between mine.

Her belly was sticking up just enough to press against mine. When we were this close I could usually feel when my nugget would kick and move around. That always excited me.

"Are you comfortable?" she asked.

"I'm fine," I kissed the top of her head.

"Okay."

Her arm that was around my torso squeezed me tightly, like she was giving me a hug. It was slightly uncomfortable, but I can suck that up if it helps her to sleep.

"Aubrey?" she called my name a few minutes later just as I was drifting off.

"Yes?"

"Promise that you won't let go."

"I promise, Em. I promise that I'll hold you just like this until you wake up, okay?" I kissed her forehead.

"Okay."

I did my best to keep my word. Sometimes we move around in our sleep and don't realize it until we wake up. I noticed that she was finally asleep when she was no longer tense and had loosened up her grip on me. Her breathing was at a normal pace and her face was relaxed. Then I finally allowed myself to go to sleep. I woke up again around 8:30 feeling that I had to pee. She was still sleeping. Thank God. At least she'd have some rest. I know I had told her that I wouldn't let go of her, but it was either let go for a few minutes to use it or piss myself. I'm too big to be wetting the damn bed. I was very methodical with getting up. Literally prying her arm from me. I hurried as fast as I could. It just so happened that this time I had a long stream. Probably all that water I had drank at the party.

Quickly I flushed the toilet and washed my hands, but just as I was walking out I saw her starting to move around. Her arm that was around me was reaching out, only getting sheets and my pillow. I hurried up and got back in bed. As soon as she felt me, she clinged to me and put her head back on my chest. This shit breaks my fucking heart man. I just wanted her to be at peace. That's all. It seemed like these days it was asking for a lot.