Chapter Twelve

Emilia

I didn't like the fact that I was lying to Jay about my whereabouts. I wasn't that type of woman. However, I knew that saying anything along the lines of hanging with Aubrey was going to make matter worse than they already were. With draft day approaching, the last thing I wanted was another major argument between us.

He had called while Aubrey was driving us back to his place from the stables. I went ahead and answered even though I found it to be awkward. Aubrey kept his focus on the road, but I'm more than positive that he was listening. It was quiet after I hung up, besides the music that was playing from his phone. He simply reached over and rested his hand on my thigh. I smiled faintly, attempting to suppress the tingle like feeling his touch sent through my body. I didn't know quite how to spark our conversation back up, so I increase the volume of the music and listened to what Aubrey had selected.

Heard you spent your summers in Miami

At somebody's house that you didn't buy

You're young, yeah, have fun, girl, but I hope it was worth it

Cause fuck it, I'm not here to judge

Fuck it, I'm not here to love everything you did to ball

Fuck it, I'm just glad you called

Ring ring ring, what a thing

Ring ring ring, school bell, I ring

You and I got options, bae

"You like this?" he asked when he heard me softly singing.

"Yeah. Its catchy. He has a good voice," I nodded as I continued along with the hook that I had caught on to, "who is this?"

"PARTYNEXTDOOR," he smiled, proudly, "he's my good friend from back home and an artist on my label."

"Oh cool. Does he have an album out or something?"

"A couple mixtapes and extended plays. He's in the process of working on his new album."

I nodded, "that awesome that you made your own music label and signed your friend on with you."

"Yeah, I look out for my people. I have to put my city on music wise, you know? It's a lot of unseen talent in Canada."

"What mixtape is this song on?"

"Mine. It was a little something he recorded during one of my studio session. I loved it so much that I couldn't let it sit. I had to get it out there for the fans to hear."

"Well aren't you a good friend to have?" I nudged him playfully.

"I try, I try," he chuckled, "almost everyone who works around me are people I've known for a longtime."

"Why is that?"

"Those guys were in my corner from the moment I started this journey into music. I know they have my best intentions at heart and I simply can't trust anyone else but those guys. This industry almost forces you to keep your circle small and who else would I rather split that 15% with other than people I fuck with."

"That's pretty commendable... to have that amount of loyalty and trust. I bet it's nice to have that energy surrounding you."

"It helps maintain the sanity for sure. What about you? You have home girls you rock with strong like that?"

"Eh- no," I shrugged, "I didn't have that many friends in college and stuff, My mind was so pressed on grades and being this outstanding medical student. Owen is the closest person I have that isn't family."