Chapter Thirty-One

Emilia

The day had come to share the new phase of my life with my family. Sunday dinner at the parents' house part two, here I come. I wanted to believe that this time would go better than the last but my family was unpredictable. I prayed about it on my commute to their luxury Los Angeles abode. Although my parents had their ways, I can say that they have done very well for themselves. I could see why they pushed me and my siblings to follow in their footsteps. I appreciated that. My parents cared for the well-being on their children. However, today they would learn that their daughter is taking the reins of her life and going her own way with or without their approval.

Max lied on the couch with his Beats on. Dad sat in his recliner, watching television. They were happy to see me. Greeting me with smiles and hugs. Mom and Elena were in the kitchen finishing up the dinner and setting the table. I was surprised to see my sister in jeans, blouse and flat shoes. She looked a little disinterested in what she was doing, but smiled when she saw me and we shared a hug. Mom acted like she was too occupied to give me anything other than a dry hello. I shrugged it off and went to chill with my dad and Max until dinner was ready.

Twenty minutes went by before mom called us to the table. We all took our normal seats. I always found the most comfort in being next to my brother. Elena was across from me. Mom was to her left and dad was at the head of the table. After he said grace, we dove into the spread of baked chicken, macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, asparagus and white corn.

"This looks great, Maria," dad broke the silence, "and smells wonderful."

"Thank you honey," she smiled, "how does it taste son?"

Max didn't look up, but nodded his head, "it's good ma."

"How about you sweetheart? "she looked at Elena.

"It's good as always mom."

She went back to eating her food, not bothering to look at or ask me what I thought. This woman was really tripping. What the hell was her problem? I didn't bring any attention to it, but I notice Elena and Max glancing at me.

"Well," dad cleared his throat, "Elena and Emilia, how are you all doing? What's new?"

"It's not too much different going on daddy. Everything is going well," Elena answered first.

"Still my favorite pediatrician," Mom chimed in, "I'm so proud of my baby."

"Thanks mom," she said.

"I quit my job."

Everyone stopped what they were doing and stared at me. I didn't see a point in procrastinating on saying it, so there it is.

Mom looked at me as if I had three heads, "You did what?"

"I quit my job. In two weeks I'll be done at the station and focusing on my career with food. I started my blog a few weeks back, working on a book and I signed a contract to be a song writer for and up and coming record label."

"What kind of nonsense is this?!"

"Maria calm down," dad interjected, "just listen to her-"

"No, Conan did you hear what she said. She quit her job to blog about food and write songs? We did not raise her like this!" her anger continued to progress, "it's that boy isn't it? That boy that the people at my job are telling me that you have been taking pictures with that's all over the internet. Have you lost your mind Emilia?"

"No. I'm just not allowing you to control it anymore."

"I think its pretty cool-"

"Be quiet Maximo. We will not encourage this behavior," she cut him off, "All of this...that rapping boy is the reason why you aren't engaged anymore isn't it? You're out hear whoring around in these streets with some man who only wants one thing and now he's convinced you to quit your job."