Chapter Forty Part One

Emilia

The Next Day

I hopped back in my rental after a day of retail therapy en route back to my hotel on my last day in New York. I'd be flying to Toronto in the morning to meet up with Aubrey. I would be back here soon to work on things for the book. I couldn't believe all of this was falling into place for me the way it was. I'm truly blessed and thankful.

I don't know how I managed to walk around the city until dinner time. I guess it was a mix of shopping, sightseeing and the serenity of by myself for the first time in a long time.

Jay: Hey Em how are you doing?

Emilia: I'm doing fine. How are you?

Hm, that wasn't expected.

Incoming Call: Elena

"Hey Lena what's up?" I answered.

"Em, have you talked to Aubrey today?"

"Um yeah. This morning and on before he went to the tennis match at noon. Why?"

"I think there's something you need to see..."

"Okay...what is it?" the tone of her voice caught my attention, " You're kinda weirding me out."

"I'm going to text it to you. When you see it call me back."

"Okay...bye."

"Bye."

Something was wrong. My stomach got a nervous feeling.

I waited for a text from her that came through within the next minute.
I clicked on the link she had shared with me. It took me to an Instagram post by Baller Alert. My heart stopped. Time stopped. What I was seeing couldn't be what I was seeing. My eyes were playing tricks on me.

@balleralert: Looks like Drake attending all of the tennis matches worked. TMZ has several pictures of Serena Williams and Drake making out at a restaurant. Witnesses said they couldn't keep their hands off of each other.

I felt like I was going to throw up at any second. As much as I didn't want to believe it, the pictures were justifying everything the post was saying. It was several of them. They were all over each other. Okay, I knew he was going to Cinnicnati to support Serena, his friend's, tennis match but this wasn't what I thought he meant by that. I knew they dated years ago but I trusted him when he said that was over with. I feel so stupid. He had me sitting in the stands cheering this girl on a few weeks ago. Now I'm looking at this. It reeked intimacy. His arms are around her, his head in the crook of her neck. Her hands are on him. She's laughing, he's smiling. Aubrey can't be serious.

Emilia: good looking out. Thank you. Love you

Elena: are you okay? Don't accept this bullshit. He has a girlfriend and is not showing you the respect you deserve. Why are they even alone together like that.

Emilia: I got it Lena. Don't worry bout it.

Elena: call me

I tried to fight back my tears but I was hurt. He didn't mention anything about having dinner with her. When did he do this? Last night? Today? Here I am, letting my guard down to love this man and he does this? This is so embarrassing.

The people of social media were ruthless. Not only were they tagging me in every one of their pictures that blew up my phone, but they put pictures of the two of them and a picture of Aubrey and I at her match side by side making memes they thought were funny. I was done.

Incoming Call: Aubrey

Decline

He was the last person I wanted to talk to. You know, any other time I'd be willing to listen but this isn't the old Emilia. I been through too much in my past relationship to accept anything less than what I deserved from Aubrey. I'm not going to cry and be a victim. He's got the wrong one for that.