Chapter Forty Part Three

Emilia

Jay: I went back and took care of your rental. Paid to be cleaned and all. You're good to go champ.

Emilia: Thanks. I appreciate everything you did for me today. You didn't have to, but you did. Thank you.

Jay: even though we aren't together I'm always gonna be here for you Em.

Emilia: same to you. I was pleased to hear that you held it together in the room with Owen and Aubrey. I appreciate that.

Jay: it's all about growth. He tried to come at me but I knew bruh was hurt so...I know where he comin from. Hearing about the baby from me was probably a little much.

Em: you told him?

Jay: I had to. He didn't know wtf was going on.

Jay: you aren't upset with me are you?

Emilia: no I was just curious.

Jay: okay...do you need anything

Emilia: just some rest is all

Jay: ok I'll let you do that. Hit you up in the morning.

Emilia: ok

"You talking to Aubrey?" Owen walked in to my room and plopped down on the bed next to me.

It was a little after one in the morning. I couldn't sleep. Neither could Owen apparently. He had let Lena have his room so she could get some sleep; he elected to stay up as long as I was. I had turned off all of my social media notifications for the time being. I didn't want to deal with whatever was going on in that world right now. I only wanted to talk to those that new me, not read peoples assumptions of who I am.

"No," I said, dryly, "we aren't together anymore, so why would I be?"

"Em-"

"Em what? I know you're on his side with this whole thing and I'm not in the mood," I snapped, remembering being told that they were conversing in the hospital.

"I'm not taking sides, so calm your ass down," he sat up, "all I'm saying is talk to him. He suffered a loss today too. He needs you."

I folded my arms and rolled my eyes, "He didn't seem to need me much when he was going on dates and kissing other women."

"That shit looked bad as fuck and I called him out on it," he said, "but I also heard him out too. Now you know me Em. If I feel like someone has wronged any of my people or did some fraudulent ass shit, I'm not fuckin with them."

"What's your reason? Give me a good one. Because you two are buddy buddy and don't hate him like you did Jay?"

"Please, don't bring that nigga back in this shit. I can't go there. I'm still trying to figure out why the fuck he was here," he scoffed, "do not allow this to be a ticket for him to be in your life again. I peep shit. That nigga looked a little too comfortable."

"You guys immediately jump to the worst. He saved my life today."

"Yeah, after almost ending it a few months ago or did you forget?"

"Okay Owen you got it," I threw my hands up, "let's go back to Jay's past and totally forget Aubrey's shenanigans. Why don't you get your head out of his ass for a second and be on my side. Your best friend!"

"Don't get slick at the fuckin mouth with me," he chuckled, rubbing his chin, "I'm always on your side, don't play me like that shawty. I'mma check ya ass when you wrong though cause I keep it one hunnidt. If you want to take it there, I can get right there with you. You can't handle my mouth. I have no problem giving you tough love."