Chapter Thirty-Four Part One

Jhaleel

"Good Morning Mr.Harris, how are you?" Dr. Paytin stood up to shake my hand as I entered her office.

"I'm doing well, how are you?"

"I'm fine. Thank you. Go ahead and have a seat," she motioned towards the couch adjacent from her desk.

"I was expecting someone to be with you, correct?" she peered over her glasses.

"Um...yeah she's supposed to be here any moment now," I looked down at my watch.

It was five minutes until nine. I was starting get nervous. I had been praying that Em would show up today. She never gave me a definite answer. My palms became a little sweaty. I wiped them off on my jeans as I looked around the room. Three times a week I was here for two to three hours, stripping back all the layers of myself. Dr. Paytin knew all the moments in my life that have me in the position I'm in now, from childhood to the present.

After weeks of therapy, she decided it would be a good idea to bring Emilia in so that I could deal with our relationship head on. I told her that my memories were vague from the night I had hurt her. The only way to take full responsibility of my actions was to know exactly what I did and how it affected Em. This was going to be tough to hear, but I was ready. I was ready to see her.

"We'll give her about five more minutes and then will get started," the doctor said as she scribbled some notes on her clipboard.

I pulled out my phone to keep myself busy until then. I'd normally go to social media, but lately all I've been seeing is stuff about Em and Drake. Last night, there was video of them leaving the club together. My emotions were all over the place. I'm not sure if she had completely moved on from us and was using him for rebound purposes, or if she was really over me. I know I did some fucked up shit, but there's no denying the love we have for each other. Another part of me was angry, angry with how the media was projecting her image. I didn't like it at all and took to my Instagram to set the record straight. She deserved that much from me.

There was a knock on the door. It felt like my heart stopped beating until it opened.

"Dr. Paytin, your nine o'clock is here," her office assistant said.

Doc nodded and motioned for whomever it was to come in.

"Hi," Em walked in and shook her hand.

"Hello, there. You must be Emilia. I'm Dr. Patricia Paytin. Thank you for joining us this morning."

It had been almost two months since I've seen her in person. She was more beautiful than ever. The blue sundress she wore made her skin glow with radiance. Her hazel eyes made contact with mine as I stood up. She was receptive to my gesture for a hug. I guess that was a good sign. I wanted to hold her like this forever.

"Hey Em, you look great," I said to her, taking in her sweet scents that I've been neglected of.

"Thank you," she pulled back and nodded, "you look good."

We both took a seat on the same couch. She made space between us, sitting a good arm's length away from me. That was understandable. I couldn't be mad.

"I think I speak for Mr. Harris and myself when I say that I'm happy to have you join us today," Dr. Paytin said.

"Whatever I can do to help."

"Well, I would first like to start off by letting you know where we are in our therapy, rehabilitation process. This is my fourth week with Mr. Harris. He's been here three times a week and with his alcohol rehab counselor two times a week as well. He's tested weekly for alcohol and drugs; so far everything has been negative which is good. In my sessions with Mr. Harris, we've discussed the events that brought him here, family issues, alcohol dependency, drug addiction and so on. I asked for him to invite you here, for one to open that communication gateway and two to help bring some type of closure to your relationship. As much as we want to lock away and suppress our problems, the only way to deal with properly is to face them head on. Being that Mr. Harris was under the influence at the time of the events that have taken place between the two of you that led to the end of relationship, I would like for you to tell him what happened so that he can gain a better understanding."