Chapter Fifty-Five

Emilia

Sunday

I pretty much had a sleepless night. Aubrey was out as soon as he lied down. Every time I closed my eyes, I thought about my sister and how scared she must have been when she realized she was losing her baby. The fact that her husband, a man who took the vows in front of all of our family to love and protect her, did it with no remorse was sickening and scary. How could she live with him after that? She faked it so well to our parents. How?

I camped out in the living room of the suite Aubrey had for us. My laptop was my best friend as I did my research.

GOOGLE: Unborn Child Protection Laws

I was hoping that I would be able to find something that could send his ass to jail; something his money wouldn't be able to get him out of.

37 states recognized the unlawful killing of an unborn child as homicide. Unfortunately, California was one of eight states that didn't have full coverage of the unborn child. It's penal code described it as
the unlawful killing of a human being, or a fetus, with malice aforethought. The California Supreme Court interpreted that "fetus" applied as "beyond the embryonic stage of seven to eight weeks."

Dammit. Elena was only four weeks when it happened to her. This wouldn't even hold up in court if we tried. That pissed me off, especially when there were states like Georgia that recognizes an "unborn child" as "a member of the species homo sapiens at any stage of development who is carried in the womb".

A child was a child no matter what stage of development it was in. This was totally unfair and needed to be changed. Now what could I do? There had to be something. I'll figure it out soon. Sooner rather than later.

I had fallen asleep at some point, but the light shining through the glass windows had woken me up what seemed like a couple hours later. The view was beautiful. We were on the 20th floor overlooking the Vegas strip. I stepped outside for some fresh air, taking in the scenery.

Jay: Dope as fuck! 💯

He had sent a picture of him sitting in a plush leather seat embedded in his locker. His name and number on a metal plate above it. It was really nice. His smile was big and cheesy. He was so happy.

Emilia: That's nice! 👌🏾

Jay: my own locker at Madison Square Garden. Who would've thought?

Emilia: Anything is possible when you work hard! That's you all day.

Seeing him happy and healthy made me smile. We were both in much better places in our lives than we once were four months ago. I'm excited to see how he progresses in his career. I know his parents would be proud of his accomplishments if they were still here. His uncle had a lot to look forward to.

Jay: even though you a GS fan and ya mans is down with the Raptors you gotta peep me this season. You were there through UCLA as I grew as a ball player. It's only right!

Emilia: I'll be keeping up. The season starts October right?

Jay: 27th

Emilia: I'll be keeping up. Rookie of the year?

Jay: nothing less will be accepted

The last time we saw each other was in yet another traumatic situation. I was loosing my child and I didn't know who else to call but him given my location. He was there in a heartbeat with no questions asked. That went a long way in my book. After breaking up and moving on, we could still be there for each other. Better apart than together and we were both okay with that.