Chapter Thirty-Eight

Emilia

In just a few short hours, I had fallen in love with Aubrey's uncle, Steve. He was really nice and so damn funny. There wasn't much of a filter with him either. Watching Sandi attempt to scold him for cursing was pretty hilarious. He was very much into my background. Sandi helped to lead that conversation. He was impressed with my education and my former career. I filled him in on my new endeavors. He wished me the best of luck with my book and asked me to let him know when it comes out so he could be the first in line to buy it.

Sandi asked me to come to the kitchen and help her with some things while Aubrey and Steve stayed in the living room.

"I was in the middle of starting on this cake when you all arrived," she said, "help me with the wet ingredients if you don't mind, here's the recipe."

"Hmmm Italian creme cheese?" I licked my lips as I read the title from the notepad she handed me.

"Yes, one of my mothers best cakes. Aubrey used to love it," she smiled, followed with a sigh, "he stopped when she died though. That hit him hard."

"I could only imagine. They seemed really close from what Aubrey tells me and she was in the video you showed me, so funny. I see where Uncle Steve gets his wits from."

"Aubrey too," she chuckled, "he always love to laugh and that was all those two did together. How's your relationship with your grandparents?"

"It's good," I nodded, "both sets didn't move to the states until I was like eight or nine years old, so I didn't start spending a lot of time with them until then. They would come for holidays and stuff like though."

"Where are they from originally?"

"My dads parents are from Ireland, that's where he was born and raised until he moved to Boston for college. My moms mother is from Puerto Rico. She moved to the U.S....Louisiana and met my grandpa."

"Okay, so your family is in Boston?"

"Yes ma'am," I nodded, following the recipe my cracking and beating a few eggs in a mixing bowl, "we moved to California when I was thirteen."

"You like it there?"

"It's cool, but not the same as home you know? I missed dressing for those crisp fall days and chilly winters. I love layers, deep fall colors and a good pair of boots. You can't exactly do that on this west coast without dying from a heat stroke."

She laughed, "I know. Aubrey has taken me out there a few times and it is so hot all year around. The summers can get very warm here but not like that. I like that you have such a strong family presence. Aubrey didn't have that growing up, you know, with his father and all."

"Yeah, he's told me a little bit about that."

"He talks about you and your family all the time. So, it's your mother, father, and two siblings right?"

"Yeah, Elena is the oldest and Max is the baby."

"Max! That's his name. Aubrey adores him. He loves the relationship you two have. We talk a lot. I hope that doesn't bother you."

"Not at all," I smiled, adding in some vanilla and milk.

"It's something I think he always wanted deep down inside. Siblings and of course his parents being together. How long have yours been married?"

"28 years. They were married three months before mom found out she was pregnant with Lena."

"That's great Emilia. Almost thirty years of marriage. I don't mean to sound like I'm jumping the gun here, but I'd love to have that example set forth for my son in a step mother and father. It's something that I was unable to do for him, but you come in as this blessing and have been everything I wanted for my son in a woman."