Chapter Eighty-Nine

Jay

"Em...h-hey."

There she was. My heart stopped as it did when our eyes met earlier today. I was nervous. She always had this effect on me.

She wore pink shorts. It showed off those golden honey legs that I missed. Her feet were bare. I always loved how perfect her toes were; the white polish reminded me that it has always been her favorite. The black t-shirt was over-sized, adorning a golden owl. I knew who that belonged too. That logo had become universal. My fist clinched at my sides, but I quickly released them.

She stared at me; eyes wide and full of shock and surprise.

"Jay, how in the hell? What are you doing here?"

"I-I had to come and see you. I couldn't take it any more. After I saw you today I just- I had this dream and- we're supposed to be together Em. We're supposed to fix what happened between us."

"Em, who is that?" a female voice called out.

It didn't take long for her head to peep around the door, "What in the world? Em what is he-"

"I can handle it Courtne, just give me a minute."

"Alright," she gave me a glare before disappearing.

"You can't just pop up at my hotel like this. How did you know I was here? How did you get my room number?"

"I was on Instagram and they had a video of you walking in here. So, I came. The receptionist recognized me and gave me your room number."

"That's right. You are the face of this city," she scoffed, folding her arms across her chest, "Of course they'll give you whatever you ask for. I'm going to have to have a word with them about that."

"I know this makes me look crazy as fuck, but I'm in my right mind. I'm sober and have been since I started therapy. My life isn't the same without you, Em. I've tried moving on, putting someone else in your place but it doesn't work for me. You are and always will be the love of my life. I just want a chance to fix what I destroyed. I want one more chance. Please Em, I love you."

"Jay, you can't do this right now. This isn't the place."

She brought her hand up to pinch the bridge of her nose. Her left hand. That emerald ring sparkled against the lights overhead.

"You're engaged to him?"

"What?"

"Are you engaged to Drake?"

"No? What? Jay, seriously we can't do this right now."

"Then when?" I took her hand.

It's been a long time since I held it. I missed how perfectly it fit. How soft and smooth they were against my rough, calloused ones from lifting weights.

She didn't pull away. That gave me a sense of hope.

"You tell me when and I'll be ready, Em. I'm ready to be the man you've been waiting for me to become."

Her head hung for a moment. She then lifted it up. Tears were welling in her eyes. They met with mine. For the first time in a long time they locked. Her bottom lip quivered. Maybe I was getting through to her. Finally.

"Jay, it hurts for me to say this but-"

Voices coming from the far end of the hallway had caught her attention. We looked to our left and right. No one was in sight.

"I'm not doing this here. Anybody can be out in these hallways listening and I don't want any more drama for either of us."

I heard the sound of a door opening. It was the one directly across the hall from where we stood.