Twenty-Five

"So, how have you been?" I ask Cesar, who just took a seat next to me in the living room.

He nods. "Pretty good. Sorry I couldn't be here last night when you got home. I had to go fix some minor problem with one of the firms clients in New York."

"Hmm. Anything that would interest me?" I ask.

He shakes his head, smiling. "No, it's too complicated to explain. You wouldn't get it."

I laugh. "Yeah, never mind then." from time to time Cesar would fill me in on his cases but considering he told me it was too much to explain, I'm guessing it would bore me. A lot of the stuff that he did bored me.

"Anyway, how has traveling around the world been?" he asks, nudging me with his elbow.

I shake my head. "We're still not done with the US yet. After, we do a whole bunch of other countries. It's been nice though."

He nods. "Nice. So, how is that Maluma guy? Is he as bad as they make him seem?" he asks curiously.

I shake my head slowly. "No...I mean he's...alright? Yeah, I guess he's fine." what a lie. He's way more then just 'alright' and 'fine'.

"That's good. Hey, I'm hungry. Do you have anything to eat?" he asks.

I shake my head. "Nope. Haven't gone grocery shopping since I got back. Sorry." I apologize, laughing.

"It's fine. Let's go out for dinner?" he suggests, shrugging.

"Yeah, sure. Just let me change really quick."

***

"So," Cesar says while chewing his burger slowly. "What's this I hear about you and Nate breaking up?" he asks, wiping the corners of his mouth with the back of his hand.

I groan. "Who told you?"

"Mom and Jackie."

I roll my eyes. "Of course." I clear my throat. "Yeah, we did." I give him the short version of what happened.

He narrows his eyes, leaning in closer to me from across the table. "Why?"

"He kind of cheated on me." I answer, looking down at my food.

"What?!" his outburst causes everybody around us to turn and look at us.

My eyes widen. "Shh! Yeah, he cheated on me." I nod.

"How did you find out?" he asks, a little bit more calmly this time.

"I walked in on him with somebody else." I answer back quickly, hoping he drops the subject.

His eyes widen. "What the fuck is wrong with him?! I'm so sorry, Camila. I swear if I see him anywhere, I'll make sure he pays for what he did." he says angrily.

"Don't be. Everything happens for a reason." I shrug.

"It's still fucked up." he says shaking his head. "Hey, I can always set you up with one of my friends." he smiles sadly.

"You mean one of your boring lawyer buddies? No thanks." I laugh, shaking my head.

He rolls his eyes. "They aren't boring. They're just...sophisticated."

I nod. "Boring. They're boring."

He chuckles. "Whatever, Camila." he clears his throat, looking over at me with a more serious look in his eyes. "So, how is Dad?"

I stiffen at his question. Cesar and my Dad don't have the best relationship. My Dad has always been a very family oriented man. Family has always been the most important thing in the world to him. So when Cesar decided to go for such a demanding career, my Dad wasn't too happy about that. Cesar constantly missed family gatherings. Family dinners, parties, those kinds of things. Cesar is mad at our Dad because of his lack of support for his career and Dad is mad at Cesar for never being around. I know that they both still love each other, but whenever they're both in the same room it's just incredibly awkward. It rarely ever ended in an argument between the two but when it did, it was just super awkward and messy. He's even a little bit upset about me going on this world tour with Juan. I think he's a little bit harder on Cesar then he is on me or my sister because he's his only son.

I nod slowly, taking a sip of my lemonade. "He's good."

"Did he say anything about me not being there last night?" he asks.

"Nope. He surprisingly kept his comments to himself." I smile.

He rolls his eyes. "Oh but I'm sure he thought a bunch of things."

I sigh. "You know he doesn't agree with you becoming a lawyer. You just have to learn to be okay with it."

He chuckles, mockingly. "He acts as if I've chosen the worst possible career. Do you know how many parents want their children to become lawyers?! And he—he's upset with me for being successful. How fucking stupid is that?" he shakes his head.

I frown. "I know. I'm sorry, Cesar."

He shrugs. "It's fine. I guess I have to get used to the fact that Dad and I are just never gonna agree on this." I can tell that it's clearly not fine with him. Maybe I would try and talk to my Dad about Cesar.

This is who I picture as Cesar. (Michel Duval) They both have beautiful eyes so I thought Camila and him would be a pretty good pair.