Forty-Two

"So," I'm at the dessert table, picking which cupcake looks best to devour when Manuela comes up to me. "what's the deal with you and my brother?" she asks, giving me a suggestive look.

I plop a cupcake onto my plate along with a few chocolate covered pretzels. "I'm not sure. Why?"

"He seems to really like you"

"Yeah?" I ask, walking to a nearby table.

She nods, following closely behind me. "Yeah. He obviously likes you enough to bring you here," she gestures to our surroundings. "a party filled with his loved ones and closest friends."

I smile, nodding. "Maybe."

"Cami!"

I turn to see Juan jumping inside of the bouncy house like a child. His hair is a mess, the sleeves of his shirt are rolled up to his elbows, and he has a few buttons undone. I really wish nobody was around so I could pounce on him. Actually, scratch that, I wish I had never come up us being 'just friends' for now.

"Come jump with us!" he yells, over all the children's screams.

I laugh shaking my head. "I can't." I pull at the fabric of my dress so that he can see what I mean. This dress is too short to be jumping around in front of a bunch of children.

His mouth forms an 'O' in understanding. "Well I'll be out in a—" he's cut off by at least 6 little boys and girls tackling dragging him down to the floor.

I laugh, turning my attention back to Manuela who's sitting in front of me. "He's just a big child isn't he?"

She giggles, nodding. "Yeah, he really is. Don't you love it though?"

I nod, smiling. "Yeah, I do. There's never a dull moment when with Juan."

"So, do you like him as a friend or do you like like him?"

I clear my throat uncomfortably. "Well, I—"

"Stop the interrogation, Manuela."

I let out a sigh of relief when Juan takes a seat next to me. "Im only trying to get to know your girlfriend a little better." she smiles innocently.

"We're not dating." we both say in sync.

She sighs, standing up. "Whatever you say."

"Sorry about her." Juan says sheepishly.

"Its fine. I mean, I know I would be questioning what we are if I were her."

He nods. "Yeah. When are we clearing that up by the way?" he asks, cocking one eyebrow up at me.

"Whenever you feel like clearing it up."

"Right now. Let's do it right now." he perks up in his seat.

I laugh, shaking my head. "Not right now. It's not the appropriate time yet."

"We're finding the appropriate time before tonight. Im not letting it go." he winks at me before standing up and walking inside.

***

The party has ended. Everybody went home and Juan and I are left to clean up the mess all of the children left behind. I'm throwing plates of half eaten cake into a trash bag when Juan calls out my name. "What?" I turn around to see him standing in front of the bouncy house.

He motions for the bouncy house with his head, a goofy grin plastered on his face. "You have nobody to be worried about anymore. Let's go in."

I roll my eyes but drop the bag, slowly making my way to him. "Only for a few minutes."

"Ladies first."

I laugh, going into the bouncy house. "Oh god, I feel so childish in here." shaking my head, I wait for Juan to join me.

"That's the fun in it, Princesa." without warning, Juan jumps, unbalancing me.

"Warn me before you do that, jerk!" I yell, lunging towards him. We both end up in a laughing fit on the floor. I'm on top of Juan, he rests his hands on my waist securely.

"Look who's the child now." he grins.

"Shut up." I say, trying to hide a smile. When I try to get off of him, his grip tightens on my waist, his stare suddenly serious. "W-What's wrong?" I ask, laughing nervously.

He pulls me in, pressing his lips against mine gently yet still passionately. He keeps his eyes shut for a few more seconds before opening them again. "I'm falling in love with you."